55 gal electric boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
I have A 15 gallon Kegel with one 4500 W ultra low density element on a 30 amp circuit that I have been brewing with and having success . I recently picked up a 55 gallon stainless steel kettle and want to install 2 4500 watt elements in there.
Anyone out here doing this? I assume I'll need to upgrade to a 50a circuit. Or is there a way to make it work on a 30a circuit?
Someone must be running this set up.

I use a Camco 2963 5500W 240V Ripple Foldback Ultra Low Watt Density element. I've used it in a 55 gal drum before. I run that on a 30A circuit. It's pretty cool to see a 55 gal drum steaming hot.

More heat would be faster. Yes you would need to beef up that circuit for sure. The most I've ever done is a single 30A circuit so I couldn't really comment on a 50A circuit.

I use a Camco 2963 5500W 240V Ripple Foldback Ultra Low Watt Density element. I've used it in a 55 gal drum before. I run that on a 30A circuit. It's pretty cool to see a 55 gal drum steaming hot.

how long did it take to bring that to a boil? Assuming you didn't use the whole 55 gallon volume.

how long did it take to bring that to a boil? Assuming you didn't use the whole 55 gallon volume.

I don't remember off hand, but it was predictable and easily calculatable. There is a formula that calculates this based on the water starting temp, water goal temp and heating element output. I think it was a BTU calculator. It was dead on accurate, but heat-up time is due to the element's output.

If I'm not mistaken, you can only run a circuit that your source box is capable of or the size of the wire that feeds your box. I know I'm not wording this properly.

My BK is a 55 gal ss drum with two 4500 watt elements. I run it on a 50 amp gfi protected circuit. I brew 30 gal batches and I would not want less power.

My BK is a 55 gal ss drum with two 4500 watt elements. I run it on a 50 amp gfi protected circuit. I brew 30 gal batches and I would not want less power.

You replied in the other thread and said this:

"
I have a 50 gallon BK and make 30 gallon batches. I typically start the boil with about 40 gallons of wort. I have two 4500 watt elements on a 50 amp system. I run the PID at 100% until the boil starts and then back off to 90%. I would not want less power. YMMV."

Am I losing it?

Ischiavo: I did not catch that this was a duplicate thread. Anytime someone asks about bigger systems I chime in to help out if possible.

Ischiavo: I did not catch that this was a duplicate thread. Anytime someone asks about bigger systems I chime in to help out if possible.

I figured you didn't. I was surprised how similar your post was. I read it and knew I had seen it somewhere else. Good on you for helping out.

Didn't mean to derail things.

This page has a calculator called Heating Time To Temp which will tell you how long it will take to heat to your desired temp. It is accurate.

So I ran a new circuit. I bought a 50 amp GFCi, 6 Awg wire and two 30 amp recepticles.
I have a High Gravity EBC-II that will go into one of the 30a recepticles, and I am going to buy another High Gravity simple kettle controller to power the second 5500w heating element. Any problem with piggy backing that second receptacle off the other one? Basically 2 30a recepticales on one 50a circuit. Anyone see any problems with this?

BTW I have one 4500w heating element an one 5500w element drawing a total of 41 amps.

Last edited:
Got it. I should just run two separate 30 amp circuits. Don't want to burn the place down!

You could just create a small sub panel with the 50 circuit entering and breaking down to two 30 amp breakers. Also, you should consider making a little side car for your EBC panel that just has a SSR and heat sink. You'd then just need to tap into the signal wires of the SSR in the EBC and jump them over to the sidecar. That will make the EBC control both SSRs and the 30 amp circuits will stay isolated.

Bobby presents some great ideas. Another approach would be to simply run one element full blast and control the other with the EBC II. In my 55 gallon BK, I run two 4500 elements on 90% power during the boil. You could make a small control panel with two 30 amp breakers (or four 30 amp fuses), two contactors, two switches, and two 30 amp outlets. Plug one element directly into an outlet and plug your EBC II (and second element) into the other outlet. Thus one element would be on/off and the other element would be controlled the EBC II. I think this would be the cheapest route to take.

Thanks for your input fellas, much appreciated. Here's a thought.... being that my panel has space for a two pole (the 50a Gfci breaker) can I replace that with two single pole 30a GFCI's and run two seperate 30a circuits? Sounds doable....

Your 30 amp GFCI breakers will be two pole so you will need 4 slots in your panel. 30 amp GFCI breakers cost about $100 each. If you already have the 50 amp gfci breaker, you should be able to build what I am proposing for less than $150.

Back