53 to 23 = stuck or done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrotmalt

Reaction score
I don't know how cocoa powder affects gravity, but my OG was 1.053, and I got the same 1.023 reading after 6 days and again at day 10. (I even rocked the fermenter at day 6 to maybe rouse the yeast a bit.) I added the cocoa at the end of the boil, so all hydrometer readings have included the cocoa (if it makes a diff?).

Grain Bill:
9# Marris Otter
1# Chocolate
1# Crystel 60L
.5# Roasted Barley

Mash temp:
->started at 156 -> dropped to 155 after 30 minutes -> I stirred it and lost 3 degrees -> ended up 151 @ 60 minute mark.

According to this , that puts my attenuation around 57% and ABV at just < 4 (I was shooting for 5.2%). If the cocoa is adding gravity points, then my attenuation % will be higher, but I really thought my OG was on par with my normal 70%ish efficiency.

This was my first attempt at bottle harvesting yeast from 3 Sierra Nevada Pale Ales. I stepped it up in three steps and it had a nice krausen going and tasted/smelled good when I pitched it. It's been between 65 and 70 degrees since I pitched.

It tastes good, but I'm not sure if it's stuck or done. I'll leave it in primary for at least another week either way, but should I throw in some Notty or something?

Also, I was planning to add lactose when I transfer from primary, but I'm afraid it might be too sweet if I can't get it the FG lower. :confused:

Any words of wisdom?

I think I would call it done. I'm sure someone will disagree with me but a stout like that will be nice with that kind of body. I think it is finishing that high because the pound of crystal and Chocolate. I assume that's one pound of chocolate malt, not a pound of chocolate chocolate? Don't worry, you know.

I assume that's one pound of chocolate malt, not a pound of chocolate chocolate?

Yes, that's the chocolate malt. I didn't list the cocoa in the grain bill, but I added 8oz of it w/ 5 minutes left in the boil.

I used this tool for my calculations, but I don't know how it works behind the scenes. I assumed when I put in specific malts, it adjusts the fermentable sugars accordingly, but what do I know. Even if I choose low attenuation with these grains, it uses 66% and comes up with 4.6%abv. Me sitting at 57% just seems really low to me.:( I'm all for full bodied beer, but I was hoping to get that with the help of some lactose and not my yeast petering out.

That tool predicts almost the same final gravity whether you input all 2-row or all 60L.
In practice, 60L is much less fermentable.
I'd love to see a tool that would consider the grain bill for final gravity.

I think that you will learn(as have I) that if you want your beers to drop lower with crystal malts then you need to mash lower. Seriously, try 152-or a little lower to achieve the attenuation you are looking for ( got more than an hour if you are feeling the vibe). But, don't be afraid of a 1.028 gravity. I just receive a best of show at a bjcp comp. this past weekend with an english IPA with a finishing gravity of 1.028. Their comments were medium to medium-full bodied. It was a really great beer. keep in mind it started at 1.086.

Just as a point of reference, my Shakespeare Stout clone starts at 1.061 and reliably ends around 1.017, that's with 1.2# of crystal and 1.2# chocolate malt and 0.25# roasted barley.....I'd call that pretty similar to your bill, except for more base malt in mine so a higher OG. Also using Cali Ale yeast in mine. However, I am mashing at 150F, which probably accounts a lot of the difference in FG between our recipes.

According to this, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/unsweetened-cocoa-145648/ cocoa powder shouldn't be adding gravity points.

In any case, you may have enough residual sweetness without the lactose. As others have said, 1.023 will be a nice body for the beer you've got going.

I'm with oldschool. Call it done, and try for a different result next time. I had a stout once so underattenuated it was like 2.7% ABV, but it was really tasty.

If you add more yeast, you won't have a nice clean sample of the Sierra Nevada yeast when you harvest it. And it might not even lower the gravity anyway...

I'll leave it alone and see if it changes anymore over the next week or so. As for the lactose, I'd really like for it to be carbed up and ready to drink for me to get a true feel for whether I still want to add it. I initially planned to add it when I put it in the keg. Is it OK to add it after it's fully carbed and taste tested? I've never used it, so I don't know if it'll mix right, or have foam issues etc.

Either way I feel a little better about the gravity. Thanks for the responses.:mug:

just like others have said, lower mash temps with increase in specialty malts.... this just takes trial and error and time to figure out. i just had an IPA that i mashed to high and it attenuated about 63% down to 1018... i was annoyed at first but now it is absolutely delish.

since you are harvesting yeast i would make sure to either oxygenate/aerate, might help it the yeast give up as quickly.

Latest posts

Back