50 AMP control panel build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy994719

Reaction score
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
After doing quite a bit of research, I decided to build a 50 AMP control panel for an EHERM brewery. I looked at panels from Aubber.com, theelectricbrewery.com and ebrewsupply.com, but just could not justify spending that much money. I based mine off a great write up, https://skrilnetz.net/how-to-build-a-brewing-control-panel-herms-240v-30-amp/. That panel is 30 AMP and can only run one element, but I decided to change a few things so I will be able to run two 5500 watt elements at the same time. This will allow me to brew two batches at one time if needed, one in the boil kettle and start another mash at the same time.

I am using two Auber DSPR310D EZboil Power Regulators to control the heating elements and a SYL-2802B Dual Channel Temp Meter to monitor the temperature during mash/sparge. The switches and LED lights are also from Auber. They all are 22mm holes, a Milwaukee 7/8 bi metal hole saw is a perfect fit. I used Microsoft Visio to lay out all of the parts to scale on my 12x16x6 electrical box first then penciled everything in on the box. Home Depot sells a 60 AMP spa panel for $88, you might get away with a 50 AMP, but for the price, I would go with 60 AMP. This is a little overkill for my skill level, but I decided to skip the cooler mash tun method and go with electric.

This has turned out to be a fun project, I am just getting started, but will try to keep posting updated photos for those that are interested.

for some reason my pics didnt post

Attachments

• 20180808_064637_1533729555714.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
  • 20180808_064604_1533729556618.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
  • 20180808_064615_1533729556207.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
I would pick up some extra ssrs just in case... those generics dont have the greatest reputation here. Its possible the supplier inkbird uses is better quality than many of the ones sold with the fake fotek stickers though..

I would pick up some extra ssrs just in case... those generics dont have the greatest reputation here. Its possible the supplier inkbird uses is better quality than many of the ones sold with the fake fotek stickers though..

What is the brand that everyone has good luck with?

What is the brand that everyone has good luck with?
any mgr made ssr would be good like Mager, berme, MGR and ebrew supply or auberins versions.. they are all various rebranded ssrs made by MGR. others like crydom and teledyne are very good too. and theres an amaerican made one out there... opti something... those are also good. these white ones seem to be the only style that have a lot of reported failures on here and the meat smoking forums.

I used a bunch of these with great results.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-480V-AC....TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.X+ssr+40a.TRS0&LH_TitleDesc=0

After a lot of labor I finally finished the panel, saved quite a bit of money building it instead of buying a panel. It was a fun build, took way longer than expected. The only thing I am missing is three PT100 probes, does anyone know a cheaper source than Auber? I have one Braided Cable for PT100-L Series Probe with XLRCON-M connector, but really don't want to spend $40 each for the other three.

good.jpg

After a lot of labor I finally finished the panel, saved quite a bit of money building it instead of buying a panel. It was a fun build, took way longer than expected. The only thing I am missing is three PT100 probes, does anyone know a cheaper source than Auber? I have one Braided Cable for PT100-L Series Probe with XLRCON-M connector, but really don't want to spend $40 each for the other three.

View attachment 590043
EBAY get the ones with the detachable teflon cable. WAY better Ive tried them all and those hold up best..

amazon has them too but higher markups.

Congrats BTW, Looks good!

EBAY get the ones with the detachable teflon cable. WAY better Ive tried them all and those hold up best..

amazon has them too but higher markups.

Congrats BTW, Looks good!

Did you find a quick disconnect similar to Auber or just wire them direct to the PID?

This is the RTD with teflon cable that was mentioned earlier (they spell it telfon). I bought one and it works fine but the wire is thinner than what is pictured. Still a lot easier to work with than the steel braid. If you can solder, I purchased this wire to redo my steel braided cables and it works great.

Edit: The RTD with teflon cable has 4 pin connectors vs the Auber 3 pin connectors, not sure what if any you have already.

Last edited:
Finally finished up the kettles and tried everything out for the first time this weekend. I planned on using the HERMS coil as a chiller and I found a round 6 quart container that I made two ice blocks with, they fit inside the HERMS coil and worked great for chilling my wort after the boil. 3 gallons of ice and tap water brought the wort down to 74 degrees quick!

Attachments

• 20181017_171320.jpg
    20181017_171320.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 928064.jpg
    928064.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 75
Back