5 Thumbs Brew Sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is a link to the initial progress of our brew sculpture. This is such a dream come true. :ban:

The other two burners, pumps, chiller and control panel will be hopefully be completed this week.

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobEnzweiler/5ThumbsBrewStand#

We'd love to hear your comments.
:mug:

I'll comment my friend! I friggin LOVE it so far! Please keep the pics coming our way. And if you would allow, I would love to put a pic this on my Brutus Ten page on my website...

So you have given it a wider stance... Ascetically, that looks VERY pleasing to the eye! I am assuming you will have it on casters as well?

Nice job... Nothing like a good looking TIG weld.

I'll comment my friend! I friggin LOVE it so far! Please keep the pics coming our way. And if you would allow, I would love to put a pic this on my Brutus Ten page on my website...

So you have given it a wider stance... Ascetically, that looks VERY pleasing to the eye! I am assuming you will have it on casters as well?

Nice job... Nothing like a good looking TIG weld.

Lonnie - Thanks for the props! Feel free to add as many pics as you'd like as you are the inspriation for our brew sculpture build.
PS - Yes, we'll have it on casters.

Sweet setup. I am envious. What are your costs, approx. of course?

My brew buddy's father-in-law was able to get a good deal on the stainless tubing. The stainless cost roughly $300. We haven't totaled all the components yet, but most of it has been funded via fantasy sport winnings. Nothing like a hobby supporting another hobby! :rockin:

funded via fantasy sport winnings
glade someone had a good year i was in a comp for last trying get that first round pick next year.

stand is looking good

Wow, that thing is very clean looking. Those welds are beautiful. As someone who's just now learning how to really screw up some metal with a welder, I'm incredibly impressed with that.

Our brew sculpture arrived to its new home this evening. :rockin:

There are several little add-ons versus Lonnie's original Brutus schematic.

Updates pictures can viewed by following this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/RobEnzweiler/5ThumbsBrewStand#

Stainless stell polishing will likely happen this week. Hopefully we'll be able to add the gas piping, wiring and Love controllers sometime this weekend.

:tank:

That is Hot!!!! A total piece of art, I love it. That is something to show off, Thanks, Shawn

What is stell polishing? Mine is getting an HF acid bath, I will post pics when it is complete, it is a very unique finish. It creates a uniform color/finish while removing all heat discoloration.

Did you design the control panel face?

Yes, my brew buddy and his father-in-law worked out the schematics and layout. My wife designed the 5 Thumbs logo a couple years ago. The logo was blasted into the stainless steel using a water jet. There is currently a black piece of stainless stell behind the logo. We are considering backlighting the logo, but haven't made a definitive decision.

UPDATE: The stainless steel is finished being polished and the parts we had to remove have been reinstalled. We are currently working on setting up the control panel components and plumbing the gas lines.

What is stell polishing? Mine is getting an HF acid bath, I will post pics when it is complete, it is a very unique finish. It creates a uniform color/finish while removing all heat discoloration.

"Stell" = "steel". We are just using "stainless" friendly abrasive pads and polish to shine her up.

I'd love to pics of your stand after the HF acid bath. Are you using staineless steel as well?

Looking very nice. What is it you're using for the pilot burners? Looks like something is tucked in a crevice of the banjo burners :).

Also, I wish you'd embed images in the thread! (personal preference)

"Stell" = "steel". We are just using "stainless" friendly abrasive pads and polish to shine her up.

I'd love to pics of your stand after the HF acid bath. Are you using staineless steel as well?

Yeah, it is stainless. HF actually eats away a thin layer of the surface of the stainless, then we have to passivate it again with nitirc acid. I will try to get some photos available in a week or so when I get it home from the shop.

Nice stand.

Looking very nice. What is it you're using for the pilot burners? Looks like something is tucked in a crevice of the banjo burners :).

Can you embed images when you are not a PREMIUM/LIFETIME member?

The pilot burner is custom piece. I'll attempt to take a few close-up shots this week.

The control panel taking shape! :ban:

http://picasaweb.google.com/RobEnzweiler/5ThumbsBrewStand#5448491718891883634

0313002226.jpg

I cannot figure out how to embed the image into the post - sorry guys.

EDIT: Finally figured it out...it should be easier than going to the properties of said image.

So, a Love controller for the HLT and MLT... is the 3rd for the BK? Are you just using it as a thermometer? :confused:

Accomplished a lot today. We completed a lot of the gas plumbing, control panel wiring and added the fittings to the pumps.

Stainless steel is purty!
0314001845.jpg

BRUTUS IS ALIVE!!!!!!!
0314001938.jpg

So, a Love controller for the HLT and MLT... is the 3rd for the BK? Are you just using it as a thermometer? :confused:

Glad you asked! The third Love controller will be used for automatically turning off the pump when the wort reaches the desired chilling temperature.

While the 3rd Love controller is not necessary, it just a feature like the third solenoid valve for the boil kettle.

Accomplished a lot today. We completed a lot of the gas plumbing, control panel wiring and added the fittings to the pumps.

Stainless steel is purty!
0314001845.jpg

BRUTUS IS ALIVE!!!!!!!
0314001938.jpg

My GAWD I am loving this machine! This is looking great!!!!

is the logo applied vinyl or painted?

The logo was blasted into the stainless steel using a water jet. There is currently a black piece of stainless steel behind the logo. We are considering backlighting the logo, but haven't made a definitive decision.

Back