5 oz priming sugar = 3/4 Cup ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
I have a 5 oz packet of priming sugar and the recipe calls for 3/4 cup of priming sugar. Are these two the same measurments?

no 4 oz of corn sugar (priming sugar) is about 3/4 of a cup ... don't sweat the difference use the packet your beer will be fine.

I think I have read that 3/4 cup is 4 ounces but that's an average. You should measure by weight (a scale measuring in fractional grams is about $10 on ebay, just pretend you are a drug dealer and go look for a scale) and also use a calculator to choose the appropriate co2 as volumes for a style based on the volume and temperature of the beer you are bottling. See How to Brew or Brewing Classic Styles for instructions.

For now, 5 oz is typical for 5-5.5 gallons of an american type ale so I think you are set.

I recently bought a digital scale on ebay for $6 shipped. Measures up to 5Kg. It's definitely worth the money.

Yeah, don't just pour the packet in... My first brew was a brown ale, should have had a bit less carbonation in it, but we used the whole packet and the stuff is like soda... Get beersmith, it tells you how much to use for the style you're making... best $20 you'll spend! (You can get a 20 day trial for free)

Use this free calculator based on the style of beer and get yourself a cheap-o scale online or spend $20 at wally world and get a decent digital scale and not have to wait for shipping.

Yes, for dextrose (corn sugar) 5 oz is equivalent to 3/4 cup.
I got a 5 oz pack of priming sugar in a kit. I poured it in a measuring cup, did not pack it, it was 3/4 cup.

My 5oz packet was too much to fit in my 3/4 cup. I went with the 3/4 cup rather than the full 5oz and my pale ale turned out perfectly carbed. Take it for what you will.

Ok I think I am asking for a digital scale for my birthday. I have a bavarian weizen that is totally undercarbed after 6 weeks in the bottle. I did the whole 3/4 cup for this batch. But looking it up on the calculator listed above it looks like I should have used 9 oz of priming sugar.

Back