5 month secondary, no viable yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPD2245

Reaction score
I asked around and thought I'd be OK bottling some beer that was in the secondary for 5 months without adding additional yeast. Turns out that was wrong. I have a pumpkin ale that is just about done fermenting, but still has a nice yeast cake on top. So I carefully scooped out some yeast, popped the caps off of my flat bottles, and used a medicine dropper to add a little bit of yeast to each bottle. Then I recapped with oxygen absorbing caps. I figured it was worth a shot trying to save my bottles rather than just dump them. Has anyone else ever tried this with success?

Yes. I primed, I've been patient, but there wasnt even a little pop when I took the caps off. Figured I had nothing to lose by adding a little fresh, active yeast in.

Assuming that the bottles were primed, the plan is good.

You did give them ample time to carbonate the first time before deciding the yeast was no longer viable, right. Unless they were partially carbonated then opened you are good. If you heard any plop when opened, then they were partially carbonated and might not have enough priming sugar left to do the job.

I had about 4 gallons when I bottled. Used about 3 ounces of priming sugar. I used beersmith to figure out how much I needed to get to 2.5 vols. I pour my priming sugar into about 6 ounces of hot water, then stir it up. I then put it in the microwave and bring it to a boil and let it continue to boil in the microwave for a minute or two. I let that cool for a while, then I position the hose in my bottling bucket so the beer swirls a little bit as its going in. After the beer covers the bottom of the bucket, I slowly pour in my sugar water solution. I find that I get pretty even distribution of the sugar this way.

Not even a little hiss when I popped the caps off.

Last edited:
You missed the "ample time" question/answer, so I'm going to assume you gave at least 4 weeks at about 70 F before deciding to add yeast. Sound right?

It's been about 3.5 weeks at about 73 degrees. I've always had carbonation after a week no matter what I've brewed. Yeah, I know that's too early and the beer isn't going to taste right, but I just like to check and make sure everything is going well. But this batch, not even a little hiss after 3.5 weeks.

Two weeks after uncapping, dropping in some fresh yeast, and recapping. Tastes great, a little green, but that's not a surprise. I just wanted to see if my bottles were bubbling up and they are.

20150903_211448.jpg

Latest posts

Back