5 hour Energy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, wow I guess you guys took this and ran with it. My concept was simple about making a Wheat styled beer and adding the 5 hour energy Berry version to it. I know that there are commercial brands available by Budweiser/Coors/Miller/Etc..and they're not very good (did you know they also make a crappy pumpkin ale??) The reasoning behind the ale was I wanted something to drink on a long hot day when you straight feeling worn down. I was looking to replace the brew water with 5 hour energy....just add a few bottles to a small batch. I like all the feed back I've gotten, but how should I go to implement this? Do you think I added to the mash? Boil? Secondary? I want to focus on the proof of concept...

Good stuff... well i'd say primary or secondary would be best, in the boil you would burn off some of the best aspects of it... I actually had a heated debate about this with a buddy of mine... Hes abhorrently against it hes one of those crazy scientist types... but what does he know... He suggested you try a sampling batch scale down to 3 or 4 1 gallons... and try different mixes and amounts... however he was very thorough in saying do not drink too much... aka a full pint until you know how your body reacts... and if you start to sweat or get woozy drink lots and lots of water... Good sound advice!

Good stuff... well i'd say primary or secondary would be best, in the boil you would burn off some of the best aspects of it... I actually had a heated debate about this with a buddy of mine... Hes abhorrently against it hes one of those crazy scientist types... but what does he know... He suggested you try a sampling batch scale down to 3 or 4 1 gallons... and try different mixes and amounts... however he was very thorough in saying do not drink too much... aka a full pint until you know how your body reacts... and if you start to sweat or get woozy drink lots and lots of water... Good sound advice!

OOh ya and setup a serious blow off tube!

Man I wonder what they would say about my idea of replacing the water with Pedialyte to create an ale that re-hydrates you... I was going to call it the 'Hair of the Dog' Ale.

your all retarded. whoever compared it to a speedball is an idiot. same concept different demensions. shooting cocain is different then snorting it. let alone coffee and coke. stupid..

2nd they have already done that. its a malt liquor such as: JOOSE, or FOUR locos...
and they are awesome.

wtf do u think a jager bomb is guys?

god what are you all underaged?

Mixing stimulants and depressants is not recommended by your doctor. Back in the day that was called a speedball and used Heroin and Coke. The list of people killed from this is pretty long and includes John Belushi and Chris Farley.
your all retarded. whoever compared it to a speedball is an idiot. same concept different demensions. shooting cocain is different then snorting it. let alone coffee and coke. stupid..

2nd they have already done that. its a malt liquor such as: JOOSE, or FOUR locos...
and they are awesome.

wtf do u think a jager bomb is guys?

god what are you all underaged?

Do you mean underaged as in legal to drink alcohol? Or to vote? Or be voted president?

For the record, I think I qualify for all of the above.

Oh man, wow I guess you guys took this and ran with it. My concept was simple about making a Wheat styled beer and adding the 5 hour energy Berry version to it. I know that there are commercial brands available by Budweiser/Coors/Miller/Etc..and they're not very good (did you know they also make a crappy pumpkin ale??) The reasoning behind the ale was I wanted something to drink on a long hot day when you straight feeling worn down. I was looking to replace the brew water with 5 hour energy....just add a few bottles to a small batch. I like all the feed back I've gotten, but how should I go to implement this? Do you think I added to the mash? Boil? Secondary? I want to focus on the proof of concept...

Check out mkorpal's post above ...^^^^^^^^^^

Safety aside, you are effectively diluting out the concentrations of 5 hour energy's active ingredients by adding it to your beer.

You would be passed out from alcohol long before you'd get enough caffeine from your brew to stay peppy.

There's your proof of concept....don't bother! (if you are looking for a boost from the caffeine, that is)

Yeah a few 5 hour energy shots in five gallons isn't going to do a thing, except maybe add a delicate hint of piss flavor. If you're really interested in noticeable caffeine content, you'll want to get yourself a tub of anhydrous caffeine (add with priming sugar maybe?) and add a measured amount to achieve the caffeine levels that you want. For reference, a red bull is about 80mg per 8 oz, while coffee ranges from 60-150 mg in the same volume.

This was the most entertaining thing I've read all week!

However, the beer sounds nasty. You should do it and let us all know how gross it really is!

*spits out cappuccino stout*

Damn you, Lagunitas Brewing Company, you murdering bastards!!!

Just to introduce some novelty here, why not brew a good beer, drink it, then drink a 5-hour energy shot, and do your yardwork? Why do the two need to be mixed up in one? It's like ordering a combo meal from a restaurant and blending it all together with your drink in a big smoothie and ingesting it that way. Just sayin', if you want a beer to do yard work, have a beer, if you need energy, drink your stimulant of choice and make things less complicated and internet flame-y.

Latest posts

Back