5 Gallons to 10 gallons and Understanding Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
Ok So I have gone 3 all grain batches so far this year. And they have went well. But I have a few questions going into my next one.

So here is a little bit of my set up. I use beer smith to input my recipes.

I have a 15 gallon keggle , 60qt igloo mash tun

Here are my questions

So here is my question

All 3 previous all grain beers I have brewed have been from recipes that tell me how much to heat my mash tun and batch sparge water. But this is my first recipe I am putting together from multiple recipes.

So am i safe to just pick a number between 150-155 and I will still make a good beer?

Second question

When deciding how much water to use in my mash tun is a good bench mark to shoot for 1.5 -2 gallons of water for each lb of grains?

My 3rd question

I am taking a a few recipes and combining them but they are all 5 gallon batches. I am doing my first 10 gallon batch.

Can I assume I just double the grains and hops from a 5 gallon recipe to make a 10 gallon batch or is there something else i should be using to determine how much grains and hops for a 10 gallon batch?

My Fourth question is

I batch sparge. So lets say I mashed for 60 min at 152F drained my mash tun.. Then put in " X" amount of sparge water and let that sit for 15 min.

Should I try to get the sparge water and grains to 152F? Or should I shoot for a higher temp for the 15min rest?

Here is the recipe I have put together for a 5 gallon batch but need to up it for 10 gallons

Grains

Briess 2- Row Brewers Malt 8.5#
Wheat,Flaked 3#
Briess Caramel Malt 60L 0.5#

Hops

Magnum 1oz 60min
Cascade 0.5oz 45min
Cascade 0.5oz 30min
Citra 0.5oz 30min
Citra 0.5oz 20min
Citra 0.5oz 15min
Cascade 0.5 oz 1 min
Citra 0.5oz 14 Days dry hop
Cascade 0.5 oz 14 Days dry hop

Yeast

Safale S-04

Extras

Irish Moss 3.0 Tsp 5 min
Whole Habenero 2.0oz 14 days dry hop
Fresh Mango 4.0lbs 14 days dry hop

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

1) yes 150-155 is a good, all-purpose range

2) the default is 1.25 wt/lb but other ratios work fine and probably hold the heat better if you have excess capacity in your MLT

3) Your new size will likely have different efficiencies and utilizations but doubling recipe is probably the best starting point.

4) I use 170F water temp and I need to add a little lactic to keep pH down.

5) I dry hop at twice that rate for a pale ale but only let it sit for 3-4 days before crashing. I feel it cuts down on grassiness.

6) can't comment on the peppers and melon other than it doesn't fit my taste for a pale ale.

there is a good way to test your new equipment
do a 1 pound to gallon of capacity in the old system
then do a 1 pound per gallon of the capacity of the new one
compare the gravity readings

Adjust the grain per gallon capacity and use the same ratio to adjust your old recipes

that way you are comparing apples to apples

153 - 155 and a few degrees over or under give different results, more body lower alcohol up to a few degrees higher, less body higher attenuation up to a few degrees less

Back