5 gallon kettle, 3 gal water, 8 lb grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpybumpy

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to attempt my first partial mash but I may have set myself up for a disaster. I've done a half-a** search of the forums and haven't found anything on my dilemma.

I have a 5+ gallon pot and 8 pounds of grain. Without actually putting everything together, I don't know if 3 gallons + 8 lbs = overflow or clumpy grains.

The plan is to strike with 3 gallons, sparge with 1, add another 4.5 lb of LME (it's a big beer) then top off.

Any thoughts?

Even if you did an All grain it will work in there.. 8lbs of grain with a Water/Grain ratio of 1.5 will be 12qts equaling 3gal of sparge/strike water. you should be fine. Ive never done a partial mash before. I wouldn't worry about it.

I forgot to mention that I'll be mashing in the 5 gallon pot at 150*, sparging in another pot (a 10 min soak at 165), then combining. The grain/strike water ratio should be fine, I'm more worried about overflow

8 lbs of grain and 3 gallons of water will take up about 3.64 gallons of space. You won't have any overflow issues.

+1. I used a 5 gallon cooler to mash in for several years and it would hold 12 to 14 lbs of grain and the mash liquor without any problems.

After watching some of the numbers go past I've been contemplating doing a stovetop all grain BIAB partial boil. 8lbs of grain is enough for a relatively modest gravity, right? It seems obvious in retrospect, but it seems revelatory to think that with a little modification I could be doing all grain. Most of the all grain discussions I've seen have involved large pots, outdoor burners, etc etc. Am I missing anything in thinking that the process at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ could apply just as well to an all grain brew?

Thanks yall

How did you calculate that out?

I used the top link. Down near the bottom there is a "Can I Mash It?" calculator. You plug in how many pounds of grain, and the qts/lb of water and it tells you approximate volume.

After watching some of the numbers go past I've been contemplating doing a stovetop all grain BIAB partial boil. 8lbs of grain is enough for a relatively modest gravity, right? It seems obvious in retrospect, but it seems revelatory to think that with a little modification I could be doing all grain. Most of the all grain discussions I've seen have involved large pots, outdoor burners, etc etc. Am I missing anything in thinking that the process at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ could apply just as well to an all grain brew?

You can definitely do all-grain like that. You should be able to mash ~12 lbs of grain in your 5 gallon pot without and major problems, which can definitely get you up to a decent strength 5 gallon batch. And if you drop your batch size down to 3 gallons you have lots of options.

And if you drop your batch size down to 3 gallons you have lots of options.

This is exactly what I'm working on as standard practice.

3-4 gallon AG batches on the stovetop. There are lots of advantages along with one disadvantage (less beer). For me it's the way to go vs. partial boil 5's.

Latest posts

Back