5 Gallon Glass Carboy vs 6 Gallon Glass Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccpotter

Reaction score
Are there any disadvantages to using a 6 Gallon glass carboy vs 5 Gallon Glass carboy when doing the secondary fermentation? I see that wine is usually fermented in 6 gallon carboys and beer in 5 and I plan to make both. I brew beer in standard 5 Gallon batches.

6 gallons for primary is good for the krausen build up from active fermentation. for a secondary a 5 gallon should be fine since there is no need for head space. the better bottles are nice too.

There are no disadvantages at all. It actually gives you more room to dry hop with leaf hops if you choose!

I actually like to ferment my 5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon carboy so I can view the process versus a platic bucket. It leaves more space for the krausen without the need for a blow off tube.

It sounds like you're considering getting a 6g carboy to use for beer and wine. Only two disadvantages I see: (1) 5g beer in a 6g carboy will leave about 1.5g of headspace, risking oxidation; and (2) wine can take a long time to age (many argue bulk aging is best, especially for reds), which means your fermenter will be tied up for the duration.

I already have a 5 gallon glass one and I am trying to decide weather to get another 5 or to get a shared 6 gallon one. Thanks for writing!

Once fermentation starts isn't there a blanket of CO2 over the beer thus significantly reducing the risk of oxidation? I actually like the extra space a 6 gallon gives for blow off purposes.

In my experience, oxidation is a risk only if aged for a long time. I think it also depends on when the beer is transferred - if right after fermentation appears over, then the action of transferring will generate a little more yeast activity and give you that cozy CO2 blanket. I mentioned it, but I don't think oxidation is a big issue. I secondaried 3g of porter in a 5g carboy once for about 8 weeks with no ill effects. I'd be more concerned about an aging wine holding up a batch of beer!

wine kits are designed for 6g batches, so bulk aging won't tie up any of your beer secondaries.

I recommend getting 6+ gallons. I put my equipment together without researching that and bought one 6.5 for primary and one 5 for secondary. Now I wish I had only bought 6.5s. I think secondary in a 6.5 would work just fine. That would have given me two primary containers.

I prefer 6 galon carboy or BetterBottle
I ferment exclucivly in 7gal buckets, because i find cleaning krauzen stick on the sides easier.
My Meade ended up nearly 6gal because of a miscalculation that caused the need for more honey to get my desired OG, and a 5gal carboy would have been way too small.

I actually have a 5 and a 6, both get used equally.

The reason CO2 is a good fire extenguisher, the added carbon atom makes it heavier than O2, so even before the oxygen is all displaced, the CO2 is blanketing the fermenting wort and oxygen is not a problem unless you are splashing or stirring. And when vigorous fermentation starts, especially in a carboy, the air is ejected before CO2.

Latest posts

Back