5 gallon carboy fill line.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Question. What is the 5 gallon fill mark in a 5 gallon carboy? Is it all the way to the top? Or is it below?

I _believe_ it's at the upper edge of the curve when it transitions from vertical to diagonal. Therefore, the entire upper triangle would be considered extra room. I may be a little off on this but it's certainly not to the top of the carboy.

If you want to calibrate your carboy and have an accurate reading of how much beer you have in our carboy check this out.
Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/ZrzjoVF38h0[/ame]

Robin0782 said:
Fill a milk jug 5 times and pour it in to the carboy, then you'll know for sure.

I can't fill it up. It's filled with mead. Almost to the top

I just measured mine and it is about 3/4" below the spot where it starts to curve inwards and narrow. Not sure if all carboys are the same or not though.

image-1535851458.jpg

This is why I ask. Here's my mead I just transferred from my primary to my secondary. I think my primary was 7 gallons and I know my secondary is 5 gallons. So is this exactly 5 gallons? I dunno. I guess I'll find out when I bottle. 25-26 bottle of mead.....mmmm

Different Carboys have different 5 gallon marks, you really do need to measure it with a scale to get an accurate fill line.

I have a carboy that looks similar to yours. Just the other day I measured it so I would know where the 5 gallon mark was. It came out to be right around the highest band right around where it starts to taper.
I would guess you have a bit more then 5 gallons.

Back