5 gallon boil and cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackE1

Reaction score
I have not yet built my immersion chiller. I want to try a full boil. With enough ice will i be able to cool the wort quick enough so that i do not give the bacteria a chance to infect my beer?

My plan is to cool in the tub with cold water and lots of ice.

I don't see a chance for infection. Just an hour to waste (and drink a beer) while waiting for it to cool. Just won't get a cold break at all.

I have been pouring my pot into the bucket anyways to aerate it so the cold break gets transferred into the bucket anyways.

He is saying you probably will not get a cold break.

I would use the coldest water possible with no ice until you get to 100*. Then change out the water and add the ice and stir like a mofo.

I have not yet built my immersion chiller. I want to try a full boil. With enough ice will i be able to cool the wort quick enough so that i do not give the bacteria a chance to infect my beer?

My first 3- batches were done that way. I used a large cooler with about 8.00 worth of ice and some stirring of both the wort and the ice water. I got it under 75 in under 20 minutes.

Fill 3 or 4 2-liter soda bottles with water (leave a small headspace) and freeze them ahead of time. Pull them out of the freezer, sanitize, and use them to stir the wort while it's in the ice bath.

Let me know how it works.

chiller = way less frustration. way, way, way less wasted water. and no sink taken up with brew kettle.

takes about an hour or more in the sink with water, and alot more time stirring etc...

an I.C., you turn the water on, you move the I.C. up and down, and stir with it for ~15 mins, and your wort is @ or below pitching temp.

best money i spent aside from my burners, and kettles that can do full boils.. about equal to the MLT expense. and as many AG brews i have done since going this way vs extract, i have got my money back, or at the least, broke even.
wont know if my beer is actually better, as i have yet to sample more than one eg brew, and i forgot (rather, did not know to) build up an oxidation layer in an alum pot before brewing, so my first batch tastes like **** so far, and likely will not get better.... but, i have not spent over 30 bucks for a 5 gal brew since going ag, it regularly spent 45-50 bucks doing mini mash/partial mash prior.

sorry, im on a soapbox again arent i????
too much bicardi, not enough homebrew.

Fill 3 or 4 2-liter soda bottles with water (leave a small headspace) and freeze them ahead of time. Pull them out of the freezer, sanitize, and use them to stir the wort while it's in the ice bath.

Let me know how it works.

I do this with my 3 gallon concentrated boils now. With 2 2-liters a 3 gallon concentrated boil will go from boiling to 74-75 in just less than an hour. With 3 it takes between 30 and 40 minutes.

Just be sure to get all the glue and paper off. Of course, try not to scratch it up. If you go this route for a full boil I would seriously consider doing 5 or 6 if you want to cool it quickly. I will be doing 4 for my next concentrated boil.

I dont have a chiller YET its in the plans... But the fermenter is empty and i need to fill it. so i think it possible. We will find out how long it take to cool.

I've done lots of 5 gal full boils and cooled with ice bath in a big sink. As long as you have plenty of ice you can get it to pitching temp in under an hour. I've never had a bacterial infection problem using this method and I don't see how you could as long as you keep it covered during cooling. Just make sure you don't drool in it when you're checking the temp. You will love your chiller once you get it though. It's definitely worth the money.

Latest posts

Back