5 Gallon Batch Size of Sake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stout6336

Reaction score
Does any one have a good traditional sake recipe for a 5 gallon batch?

Please in form me as soon as possibly.

5gal yeilded volume??

Your looking around ~40-60pds of rice and a 15-20gal container...i would guess.

Buy a couple bags of yeast balls and cook as much rice can fit in your bucket without packing it down.
Repeat as needed!

Depends if you want a clear dry sake or a semi-sweet to sweet rice wine. Check the two threads at the top of this forum area on Rice Wine and Traditional Sake. You can simply scale your recipe to suit any size batch. IMHO, start with the rice wine at a one gallon size until you perfect a batch or two, then step up to a five gallon batch once you have the steps and ingredients down. Traditional sake is a little more exacting, time and labor intensive and might require more effort/time/steps than you're willing to give it. For example, i've got three batches of rice wine under my belt and i'm about 1/3rd of the way into my first batch of traditional dry sake (i'm about fifteen days into it and just finishing up the traditional starter). Sake-making also requires precise temperature control and the yeast used with it is a lager-type yeast. It MUST ferment cold to avoid the tropical fruity flavors so prevalent in rice wine and for that, you'll need a fermenter with an external temperature controller such as a drop freezer.

The cool part is even though Rice Wine and dry Sake are different, they're both good in their own respects. Choujiu (rice wine) is a milky white wine with an ABV hovering around 20%. It's very light and sweet to semi-sweet with tropical fruit flavors that taste like kiwi, star fruit and strawberry starburst with an alcoholic note. You can pasteurize it at any stage you like or let it sit in a bottle for a few days before pasteurizing it to produce a carbonated rice beer.

The trickiest part of it is finding the yeast balls, but if you have an Asian market or two in your area, you'll probably be able to track them down.

F.H. Steinbart sells everything you need to make a 2 GALLON batch. Buy 3x the koji and 3x the rice and you will have enough for 6 gallons. For 5 gallons you would need 25 lbs of rice, 100 oz (6 lbs 4 oz) koji rice culture, 5 gallons water and a 2-3 packs of WYeast 3134, sake #9 yeast (don't break the smack pack, just tear and dump). Fermentation, even at cold temps (my last batch was at 45 degrees F),will produce a TON of foam. For a 5 gallon batch you will need a 20 gallon fermenter.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

SAKE ARITHMETIC
Traditional, rice is base measure,100% , 25 % of base is koji organism, 160 % rice is water.
example 10 lbs rice , 2.5 lbs of koji, 16 lbs of water.
I have found these approximations to be true
240 ml of rice will weigh 210 grams
washed soaked rice will absorb 1/3 its weight in water
the 210 gram/240 ml will weigh 300 grams + when ready to steam cook and will increase in volume to 400 ml
when steamed cooked the 300 grams will increase minimally for me to 310 grams but it will swell to 500 ml in volume
original dry rice 240 ml will double to 500 ml when steamed but will increase one third in weight.

take any weight of rice dry , say 5.5 kg and divide it to make a recipe.
83.92 % of total 5.5 will be the dry rice for the brew ie 4615 grams which will be washed soaked steam cooked and added to the brew
16.08% of total 5.5 will be the dry rice for Koji culture ie 884 grams which will be washed soaked steam cooked and bacterially cultured as Koji the Koji will wiegh 884 grams plus 33% or 1150grams roughly 25% of the dry rice used in the process.
5500 times 160% or 8800 ml /grams /or cc since they are all equal in water is the water you would use
the size of the liquid mash ie the size of the container you would need is 4 times the amount of rice in this case the minimum size required for 4615 grams is about 4x4615=20.3 liters give it 10% head space to be safe 22 liters for the early frothing expanding stage. this is how I work it .
what to expect 180% of the rice ie 4615grams x.18 = 8307ml, 8 plus liters of SAKE
I follow the starter plus three stage addition method of Taylor and Eckhardt for the process. Both their techniques are online and very traditional. The rice is steamed not boiled so that it is easy to flow in the solution not pasty or clumpy and thus incapable of full exposure of each grain without breaking it up somehow. For Koji culturing the individual loose steamed grains allows full mould development on the total surface of each grain. Do a search online for either of those names and you will find a recipe.

Back