5,000-year-old brewery discovered in China

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 224599

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/health/5000-year-old-beer-found-china

5,000-year-old brewery discovered in China

TFA said:
(CNN)An archeological find in China may be the first evidence that beer was an important product in China many years before the experts originally thought. It may have even inspired the development of a sophisticated society.

Archeologists from Stanford University unearthed what they think is an ancient brewery at the Mijiaya site in China's Shaanxi province. Their findings were published in the latest edition of PNAS.

Amphorae... The original conical fermenter?

160527105803-05-ancient-beer-exlarge-169.jpg

they found evidence of barley being used for brewing before it was widely used as a food source by almost 3K years!

Astounding.

Yup. Research for my books lead me to that one. Grains used to brew beer outdated bread by about 3,000 years! So, it appears that fermenting grains led to fermenting the dough to rise bread?...

If you consider the bread vs. beer debate from an energy standpoint, it makes a lot of sense that "beer" was first.

Bread requires milling the grain into flour, letting the bread rise for a specific amount of time, and then cooking for a specific amount of time. Not only does this require a lot of work (from a milling standpoint) but it also requires someone to be a dedicated baker.

Beer on the other hand consisted of combining barley (and maybe a few other ingredients) with water. After that you just let it sit for a few days and it turned into a weird, bubbly, highly nutritious porridge. Not only did it require little work but you could leave this in a safe place, go hunting/gathering for a few days, and have it ready to eat when you came back.

" I'm going to leave you as you left me...as you left her...marooned for all eternity inside a dead keg!...buried alive...buried alive..." :D

Latest posts

Back