4th Batch- Tried Something New

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist3672

Reaction score
So after making 3 pre-configured extract batches, I decided to branch out and try something new. I decided to make a hefeweizen-IPA hybrid, and picked up the following ingredients at my local HBS:

.5 lb 40L
.5 lb Cara Pils
.25 lb 150L
3 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Wheat Spray DME
1 oz Amarillo Pellets 8.6% @ 60
1 oz Ahtanum Pellets 5.2% @ 15
1 oz Ahtanum Pellets 5.2% @ 0
1 oz Cascade leaf 7.4% @ DRY
WLP320- American Hefe yeast

I brewed yesterday afternoon and was curious to get opinions on the recipe I used. OG was 1045 and expected FG is 1014 (32 IBU's, SRM 10).

Has anyone tried something similar?

Cheers and GO GREEN!:D

I haven't tried anything like this, nor do I have enough experience to know how it might turn out. One thing I noticed is the IBUs seem a little low, but that may be what you were aiming for.

It sure sounds good to me. Make sure you let us know how it turns out.

There are US breweries that make hoppy wheats. Southern Tier's Hop Sun comes to mind, and even Rogue's hefe is a little hoppy (w/ Saaz). You don't get any banana/clove with them, but your won't get much either (just as well).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/gumballhead-inspired-wpa-92976/

After three great batches this is a house beer. Plenty hoppy and the wheat breadiness comes through nicely due to light load of bittering addition. It does come over a bit sweeter than the recipe and FG (1.009-1.010)suggests. I believe this to be from the Caravienne/Sim-arillo dry hop combination. Have yet to have anyone not ask for seconds on this one. I'm sure any of the american hops would work well.

Back