40 oz for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess you could but just for safety's sake I would cork each bottle up and cover it with some wax.

I guess you could but just for safety's sake I would cork each bottle up and cover it with some wax.

um... why? They are made to handle carbonated beverages.

I bottle some from each batch in liter fliptops. Big bottles are great, especially if you like to have friends over but hate cleaning up a million empty bottles.

If you have a bench capper, sure. A wing capper doesn't cap screw tops that well.

Depends on the 40. If it has a beer bottle type screw cap, then yes. If it has the "soda" type metal screw cap, then no. In the second case though, you can reuse the cap a few times.

If you have a bench capper, sure. A wing capper doesn't cap screw tops that well.

Just to be clear, I think the OP was asking about the soda-style screw on caps. I could be wrong, but I would not try to recap those with a crown style cap. My father in law bottles in mr beer & soda bottles and reuses the caps a few times. There are replacements available.

The only drawback I can see is that those bottles don't have a shoulder like longnecks do. It'll be hard to keep from pouring the yeast from priming into the glass.

I'm actually talking about reusing the screw on cap. Does anyone know if they will hold the pressure and reseal well after the seal has been broken?

i don't know how that will work but if you're doing it just for sheer volume, I have a bunch of 50 oz grolsch bottles that i end up filling. One for each batch. That bottle is the first (or last depending on style) bottle I open. so if you're looking just to store volume and not have to fuss around with 12oz bottles maybe you'd wanna look into that?

I'm actually talking about reusing the screw on cap. Does anyone know if they will hold the pressure and reseal well after the seal has been broken?

I looked into doing this previously, and others said yes.

Although I've yet to try it myself, I'd imagine they'd be usable for quite a while (as long as the rubber in the cap holds up).

The seal is inside the cap... that perforated metal ring the cap is attached to is more for safety, so you know no one tampered with the 40 and added bleach or some screwed up thing (toxic tylenol anyone?). I would think the rubber seal would scratch real easily and quickly though, and I'd be worried about bacteria breeding grounds. But I'm paranoid.

I would think the rubber seal would scratch real easily and quickly though, and I'd be worried about bacteria breeding grounds. But I'm paranoid.

Hopefully our OP plans on sanitizing thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing his caps as you should with any bottles.

If you're looking for huge bottles, I have 4 5 Gallon Aluminum bottles for sale.;)

My LHBS sells throw away screw on caps for wine bottles. I don't know if they would fit onto the screw on 40oz bottles or not, but I bet if you took in an empty to your local place they would let you try it to find out.

I have used 40oz plastic soda bottles quite a few times, it is great for pulling a couple of bottles from different kegs to bring to a friends house.
I have used a few for aging over flows from larger carboys and I have not had a problem, but I only reuse the bottle/cap at the most twice.

Back