4 Volumes too much in a cap bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bizoneill

B33R IS G00D
Reaction score
So I over-carbed my beer more then I wanted... I though I had 4.8 Gal where I really had 4. Was shooting for 3.4 volumes and looks like I'll betting around 4. I'm just worried about bottle bombs now... Most of the bottles I filled were 500ml Belgian bottles that I capped. What do you guys think?

I can say regular bottles are definitely not ok to those pressure - Belgian bottles could be better but impossible to know. I definitely would not chance it personally, the scars are not worth it!

Wait until they're at a good carb level, then chill and keep cold until you drink all of them

I can say regular bottles are definitely not ok to those pressure - Belgian bottles could be better but impossible to know. I definitely would not chance it personally, the scars are not worth it!

Wait until they're at a good carb level, then chill and keep cold until you drink all of them
I was thinking about taking the caps off and re-capping about a week in if the 4 volumes was too much. I want to keep them at cellar temp to age so maybe this is my only option at this point...:drunk:

If they are the thick Belgian bottles, 4 volumes should not be a problem at all. They can handle more than that. The caps will hold.

I do saisons all the time in the 3.5-4 volumes in thick, capped bottles all the time.

If they are the thick Belgian bottles, 4 volumes should not be a problem at all. They can handle more than that. The caps will hold.

I do saisons all the time in the 3.5-4 volumes in thick, capped bottles all the time.
I used this style bottle.

beer_233142.jpg

those types of bottles are usually at least 50% heavier than normal 12oz ones. I weigh all my bottles and save heavy ones for wild beers. Im guessing you will be fine.

those types of bottles are usually at least 50% heavier than normal 12oz ones. I weigh all my bottles and save heavy ones for wild beers. Im guessing you will be fine.
Thanks, This is why I picked those bottles. I knew it would hold 3.4 but got a little worried after the mix-up. I guess I'll just have to pop the reg 12oz. bottles I filled a little earlier though...

Back