4 Element panel - GFCI troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm having an issue with my GFCI breakers tripping - and I'm a bit stumped as to what is causing them to trip. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been working on a 4 element 3 pump BCS panel and finished my wiring this past week. I wanted the ability to do back to back batches, so I built my panel using 2 50A inlets. I have 100A service to my brewshed, 2 50A GFCI breakers installed, running to two hubbel 4 wire connectors. When not plugged into the panel the breakers turn on fine, and the test button functions as expected.

In order to isolate things and help troubleshooting, i worked backwards and started isolating each circuit, disconecting relays/contactors/breakers etc. Unfortunately...i've gotten to the point where I only have each "inlet" wired to their respective contactor, and the ground/neutral for each inlet connected to the respective ground/neutral terminal block. in this scenario even with the contactors switched off and nothing connected to them, i still trip both gfci breakers.

If i connect power ONLY to inlet 1 OR inlet 2 - nothing trips.

I've attached a rudimentary drawing, since that may reiterate the fact that the power is only going to my contactors.

The contactors are 63A DIN rail contactors from ebrewsupply. The Terminal blocks are connected. I get no continuity between the ground/common terminal blocks in my panel.

100A_panel.png

Your circuit won't ever work the way it's wired. You have to separate the neutrals for the two inlets. You cannot use a neutral bus common to the two inlets. And, you can't mix hots from one inlet with the neutral from the other inlet. Take a look at the circuit diagram below that uses multiple inlets:

4 Feed Schematic.JPG

Brew on :mug:

I was wondering if that was what I needed to do, I couldn't search correctly if you could share a common bus, thank you!

So any 110 from circuit 2 néeds to be on its own common bus. Cheers!

Back