3rd Brew Today- 1/29/12- Vanilla Bourbon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
My first attempt at BIAB, and so far, other than overshooting my strike water temp, I must say, I like the convenience of this process. I did have to add some additional cooler water to bring the mash temp down to 105*, so now I have too much water, and will most likely have a boil over, so I plan on removing some of that delicious wort before I start my boil...Should I hold onto it? Throw it away? Any suggestions?

I'm doing a step mash at 105* for 30 min., 150* for 60 min., and then 158* for 30 min.

Here's a copy of the recipe for those playing along at home. Note that I'm only doing a 1-Gallon batch:

http://hopville.com/recipe/519090/sweet-stout-recipes/vanilla-stout

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with the extra wort I'm going to have before my boil? Do I just dump it? Should I save it for something? I can't keep what I have currently, or I will absolutely have a boil over. I have another 50 minutes of mashing to go, so I'm hoping someone can help me out before that point. Thanks ya'll

Suppose you could take a santized jar, fill it to the top with extra wort, seal it up and keep it to use for making a starter for your next brew.

Either than ir if you have a 1 gallong jar, or a couple of carbors, sanitize them and set them up as mini fermentations for excess wort. Add something creative to them since it is such a small size so if it doesn't work out your not dumping much. Good for experimenting with things.

I think I'm going to ladle some of the extra wort into another pot and boil them both at the same time, that way, if I need to, I can add it at the end if need be.

I'm at the 3rd step of my mash. Did 30 min. at 105*, just completed 60 min. at 150*, and now I'm at 158* for 30 min. The process actually went easier than I thought.

Up next, will bring the bag out, turn up the heat, and mash out at 170*. Planning to then remove my bag and set it into a colander that spans the entire top of my stock pot so I can allow everything to drain.

Another thing to consider would be to boil it separately, cool it, store it in a sanitized jar in the fridge and use for priming....if you bottle, that is.

Another thing to consider would be to boil it separately, cool it, store it in a sanitized jar in the fridge and use for priming....if you bottle, that is.

Yea? That would work? How long would it last in the fridge in a sanitized jar? How much (I'm only doing 1-gallon, and yes, I will be bottling) will I need for priming?

This is a good idea...Any more info would be helpful. Thank you!

I'll tell ya what. This BIAB thing is reaaaaaaaaally nice. No hiccups at all thusfar, didn't have any sediment really when I started my boil. The grain bag stayed strong the entire time even though I didn't have a false bottom in my stock pot. I'll probably figure something out for next time, but so far, so good, and mmmmmmmm the stout smells awesome! About to add the Williamette at 60 min.

Good to hear. BIAB in that size almost feels like cheating. It really takes all the hassle out of it. That collander makes a great platform to pour sparge water through, as well. I still use a modified version for my 5 gallon BIAB sessions.

I would think holding on to wort for priming purposes would be pretty impractical. Determining the sugar content would be a PITA, especially when comparing that to weighing out an oz of corn sugar on a scale. It could be done, but IMO, the better option is to spilt the boil, or run a longer boil, wait for the boiloff to make some room, and then start your hop additions. Besides, losing that wort to priming would kill your OG and ABV when it's all said and done.

Good to hear. BIAB in that size almost feels like cheating. It really takes all the hassle out of it. That collander makes a great platform to pour sparge water through, as well. I still use a modified version for my 5 gallon BIAB sessions.

I would think holding on to wort for priming purposes would be pretty impractical. Determining the sugar content would be a PITA, especially when comparing that to weighing out an oz of corn sugar on a scale. It could be done, but IMO, the better option is to spilt the boil, or run a longer boil, wait for the boiloff to make some room, and then start your hop additions. Besides, losing that wort to priming would kill your OG and ABV when it's all said and done.

Hmm...I'm a little late for that hahaha. So I knew I would have a boil over if I didn't take a bunch of wort out, so I did, and put it in another pot. Then I achieved boils on both pots. I added my Williamette at 60 min (of a 90 min boil) but didn't add hops to the other pot. Now I'm realizing that by the end of the 90 min. boil, my larger pot is going to be right around 1 gallon, which is perfect. The other pot will have about a few cups in it, without hops. I guess at this point, there's really no reason to save that extra wort, huh?

I realize I didn't ruin my beer, and since I'm only doing 1-gallon batches, I'm not taking hydrometer readings...Just letting them primary for about 4 weeks. With that said, even though I did all of this, it's not going to effect my "beer," right? It'll just effect OG and FG readings...right?

Hey guys, can you check this out and let me know if all will be OK? It's been about 19 hours since I pitched the yeast, and while there are bubbles in my StarSan solution and definitely some sort of fermentation taking place, I'm not getting a vigorous fermentation like I'm used to from my previous 2 brews. The ambient temp right now is 60*, so I'm trying to get that a bit higher, but here's my recipe:

Malts and Fermentables:
American Pale Malt (2 row)- 1.59lb
Munich Malt- 0.40lb
Caramel/Crystal malt 80L- 0.20lb
Roasted Barley- 0.15lb
Chocolate Malt- 0.15lb
Black (Patent) Malt- 0.15lb

Strike temp was 110*. Mashed at 105* for 30 min, then 150* for 60 min, and then finally 158* for 30 min.

Boil for 90 min.

Hops:
Goldings- 5.91 grams (used 6 grams) @ 60 minutes
Williamette- 4.73 grams (used 5 grams) @ 10 minutes

Yeast:
Used 3/4 of a packet of Fermentis US-05

Probably just some lag time due to the cooler temperature. It'll ferment fine at that temp, might just take a bit to get started. My basement is currently in the high 50's and while most of my fermentations take right off I've had a couple get off to a sluggish start.

Probably just some lag time due to the cooler temperature. It'll ferment fine at that temp, might just take a bit to get started. My basement is currently in the high 50's and while most of my fermentations take right off I've had a couple get off to a sluggish start.

Thanks for keeping me from jumping off the beercliff :)

Hey all- need some guidance. Sunday will be week 2 of this fermentation. It's the day I'm supposed to add vanilla and bourbon. I know the consensus here would be to NOT add vanilla extract, but due to cost of vanilla beans, I'm using the extract. I'm also going to be adding bourbon.

Do I need to actually sanitize these things before I add to my primary? I mean, they're basically just liquids....And once I add, I'll be leaving them in the primary for 2 more weeks. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

For a reference, here's the recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/519090/sweet-stout-recipes/vanilla-stout

I wouldn't think you would need to do anything to them. That vanilla extract is probably a good portion alcohol, and we know the bourbon is. That said, they should be good to go.

I'd imagine they'd both be easy adds with no worries given that they are both high concentrations of alcohol.

Back