3rd AG, 1st Session IPA Pliny the Toddler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan42

Reaction score
I gave a shot at brewing the Pliny the Toddler for my 3rd AG batch and I think it has turned out all right so far. The recipe is as follows:

For 5.5 gallons (21 L)
3.5 lb. Maris Otter
3.5 lb. Domestic 2-row
1.0 lb. Cara-Pils Malt
0.5 lb. Table Sugar
0.75 oz. Warrior 15.5% a.a. (60 mins)
0.75 oz. Columbus 11.4% a.a. (10 mins)
0.75 oz. Centennial 8.5% a.a. (10 mins)
0.75 oz. Cascade 8.5% a.a. (0 mins)
5 g Gypsum for water profile adjustment

Yeast
1 starter/slurry White Labs WLP 001 California Ale Yeast

SpecificationsOriginal Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: n/a
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 56
SRM: 37
Boil Time: 90 minutes

I changed the recipe slightly mostly by accident. I screwed up and put 1 lb of C&H Pure Cane sugar, instead of the 1/2 lb. I also had a rigorous boil and boiled down to 5 gal vs. the 5.5 gal in the recipe and used a 1L slurry of Wyeast 1056 Am. Ale.

Efficiency: beer smith has me at about 73%
Pre-boil Volume: 7 gal
Pre-boil Gravity: 1.032
OG: 1.052

Initial tasting of the wort it is quite sweet up front and hoppy on the back of the tongue. So my question is that with the less volume and more sugar, I would suspect that it will turn out a little dry and obviously there will be a bump in alcohol. Should I expect any thing different?

Any opinions or suggestions are highly encouraged.

Since Piney the elder is about 8% and Pliny the younger is about 10%, shouldn't it be called "Pliny the senior"

I would dry hop it like crazy if you want it to be like a little Pliny. I was very happy with 3 oz of dry hop in my 4.5% IPA. Too bad I bottled and cellared it, so it only had that aroma for like two weeks after carbonation. After that it tasted like Mirror Pond. Not a bad thing.

As much as I like dry hopping, I think I will leave this one alone. I really want to see how it will taste without tweeking the recipe around a whole lot. But who knows, maybe when I do it the next time it will need a little more dry hop love. Thanks for the input guys.

As much as I like dry hopping, I think I will leave this one alone. I really want to see how it will taste without tweeking the recipe around a whole lot. But who knows, maybe when I do it the next time it will need a little more dry hop love. Thanks for the input guys.

I brewed this 2 months ago and loved it!

I brewed this 2 months ago and loved it!

Thats promising! I just checked on her again this morning and my blow off tube is bubblin like a guppie. It smells good too. Im doing my best to keep it between 64-68 degrees. I love my cool brewing bag. One 20 oz. bottle of frozen water keeps it well within range. :rockin:

I haven't sampled it yet. I finally have enough time to keg it today, so I will take another taste test. I will let you know the goods in about a week!

So it's actually awesome. It's very smooth up front with a medium body, then the hop bite pops up on the back end. I will brew it again for sure. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408160131.249936.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back