34 days and still bubbling.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a dry yeast you could use:
Still trying to find the reference to my foot in mouth "dry yeast don't need wort aeration" comment.

From the Danstar/Lallemand Catalog: "After attemperation, inoculate without delay. Aeration of wort is not necessary but will not harm the
yeast."

I still aerate just to be sure.

Ok...i guess I am going to pitch the dry yeast, i know i will get little if anything since the brew is at 1.020. Since the brew has fermented with a liquid, I presume I should not aerate or should I? Also, all I have to do is rehydrate right?

MC,
Glad to hear your hydro was the problem and not your wort. I recommended re-pitching if the second hydro reading still read 1.054 but it didn't, it read 1.020 so sounds like the yeast are alive and doing there job.

If you want to re-pitch at this point, I posted from the Fermentis website their direction on pitching the S-33. At the end of the directions they recommend aerating the wort.. I don't believe that is a good idea at all, not this far into the fermentation process. Hope somebody else chimes in here.

From the Fermentis website regarding Safbrew S-33.

"Re-hydrate the dry yeast into yeast cream in a stirred vessel prior to pitching. Sprinkle the dry
yeast in 10 times its own weight of sterile water or wort at 27C ± 3C.(80F ± 6F) Once the
expected weight of dry yeast is reconstituted into cream by this method (this takes about 15 to
30 minutes), maintain a gentle stirring for another 30 minutes. Then pitch the resultant cream
into the fermentation vessel.

Alternatively, pitch dry yeast directly in the fermentation vessel providing the temperature of
the wort is above 20C (68F). Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the
yeast covers all the surface of wort available in order to avoid clumps. Leave for 30 minutes
and then mix the wort e.g. using aeration"

nah, man, i'm guessing you were referring to what was said by one of the scientist at Lallemand (danstar) said about their dehydration process. apparently they're able to get the carbs, proteins and sterols into the cell walls during the dehydration. since yeast need oxygen to take on these substances from the wort during the lag phase, the theory it that yeast that have these compounds infused won't need as much oxygen. it's on the inter webs, Dan, i'm just too groggy to do anything other than post on HBT and drink coffee at the moment. it's an interesting read. it makes sense, i get it, but i'm not going to change my process until it's better proven. remember, both White Labs and Wy say things about their products (pitch rates, temps) that many brewers disregard on a daily basis because they know it's better to make a starter for any beer using liquid.

edit: a quick search on the topic found this page. it seems here that they're saying some o2 is needed, but it's dependent on strain.

Thanks for covering my back, I was searching through post last night after I inserted foot in mouth and couldn't find anything. The information in the link you sent is exact and vague at the same time. I guess nobody really knows yeast perfectly but they are a blast to learn about!

Thanks for covering my back, I was searching through post last night after I inserted foot in mouth and couldn't find anything. The information in the link you sent is exact and vague at the same time. I guess nobody really knows yeast perfectly but they are a blast to learn about!

I hear ya there, man. They're interesting little critters, for sure. I know there's a thread around here with a link to a better article about danstar. I believe it quoted the same scientist answering q's in the link I posted. But I looked too and couldn't find it either. Oh well. :mug:

Just an update...I did the 2nd pitch. There is a light kraeusen forming on top of the beer, I would presume that there was more fermentable malt in the brew, so I feel good that I did the 2nd pitch. Will wait a week of two and check the hydro again. A question that now has arises is, could I wash the yeast? I am wanting to save and freeze yeast. I used the WLP530 for the 1st pitch and the Safale s-33 for the 2nd pitch. I know the wash would not be a pure strain, but could it make a bad yeast strain?

Latest posts

Back