$3000 saved for a system. What to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamerong

Reaction score
First off i live in Canada so i am limited on suppliers compared to you in the states.
I have saved for a few months now with the idea of getting an electric setup so i can brew 10g all grain year round.
I have a budget of $3000 as of now and am looking at either a herms or rims system but am flexible on my decision as i am not sure yet either of these are necessary with the advancements in malt science nowa days.

I would love some imput on what is available for my price range and i am not afraid of DIY i have an enginering and construction background so i am quite capable.

let your imaginations and cunning budgeting skills go wild any input will help.

Interested in seeing some other responses to this thread. Seems to me someone with 3 grand and some DIY skill could put together a pretty nice system...

I would say get one of Kal's electric brewery controller boxes and brew in your basement. It's what i wish i did when i went all grain. there is a slotted angle iron single tier frame build on this forum that i have built and it works really well. just search for "weldless brewstand" and you should be able to find it.

Have you looked at our stands? We can build whatever you want and leave whatever DIY stuff for you that you want.
Compare the quality and features of our stands, there isn't a better value in commercially available stands.
We also have a unique electric kettle design using the BrewersHardware fitting.

I have experience doing lots of electrical, I have built a garage from the ground up. i used to work as a framer and cladder in construction business. I have built my current brewery. and converted a two compartment fridge into a single temp controlled unit. i do all my own work around the house and i have experience in computer web programming as well.

Do it all yourself and build a nice electric rig using BCS or Brewtroller or whatever to control it. $3k is a heck of a start.

how are you guys building so cheep? right now i'm looking at systems to build your self and i have it running down like this if i were to do herms.

Control panel/ elements/ temp probes/ power cord: $2090
new stainless pots 80qt: $200 x3 $600
stainless Fittings and valves: $300
pumps: $150x2 $300
Hosing and other misc items: $100
stainless coil: $70

I'm probably missing some stuff in there but 3k seems like nothin when i do a run down on everything. how are you who have built systems like this doing it for way less?

I've done lot's of research on his site before i was just seeing if i could get some new ideas here/ alternatives or something different (not that there is anything worng with his system)

With $3K and your decent DIY abilities, you should be able to get a great system up and running for sure, even in Canada.

There is about $1200CDN worth of stuff in my build budget:
welded boil keggle with sight glass,
thermo-couple,
coolers for HTL and MLT,
1 march pump,
1 5500watt element driven by PID,
six 2-peice stainless steel ball-valves,
25 feet of silicone hose,
camlocks,
40plate chiller,
wood stand,
ability to do 10 or 5 gal batches
GFCI
10/4 SOOW wire
misc

I still need to make a steam hood though!

I think the budgets shown on HBT by guys in the US don't really apply to Canada. Case in point, a GFCI spa panel at Home Depot USA = $49, the cheapest spa panel at Home Depot Canada = $175.

Back