30 qt fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It should do. Just watch for boil overs.

At a 7. 5gallon limit then you may just manage a 6.5 gallon fill to reduce to 5 gallon batch.
I'm sure plenty use 30qt fryers.

Are you going to put a spigot on it?

seefresh said:
It has a spigot on it already, you can see it in the picture. ... By spigot you mean the drain at the bottom right?

So it has.....good buy.

Spigot.....Faucet...... I say tap but I'm used to speaking US friendly terms.

<<Wonders if they'll ship to the UK for a reasonable price?

Comes with a long-stem thermometer as well, feels like a good buy. Wish it would hurry up and get here though, my last piece of equipment I'm waiting on to start the AG's.

I've been using a 30qt pot for my last three brews. It fits, but you definitely have to watch out for boil-overs. I had two on my last brew. :eek:

I love being able to do the whole batch at once though!

seefresh said:
It has a spigot on it already, you can see it in the picture. ... By spigot you mean the drain at the bottom right?
I bought this very fryer a couple of weeks ago. I have not done a full boil with it yet so I can't speak to the size. The pot does have a spigot, but it is maybe and inch and a half off the bottom. As it is it would leave way to much wort in the kettle.

I have not been able to figure out if you can remove / replace the existing spigot with one you can attach to a manifold/false bottom that sits at the bottom of the kettle. The opening on the inside looks like an allen wrench would fit it and possibly unscrew it, but I don't have an allen wrench large enough to try it. Also, are there issues putting a brass or SS fitting on an aluminum pot?

You could see if a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" copper tubing would be a snug fit inside to make a dip tube. However, these pots, even full of wort are light enough to pick up and pour. I've been doing that for about 6 batches now. Now, my 15gallon keggle is a different story so it got a spigot.

It should do. Just watch for boil overs.

It works just fine for me.

I can handle a 6.5 gal pre-boil volume with that set-up which gives me about 5.7 gal post boil. But in order to manage the hot break I batch sparge and boil the first runnings. At that point there is plenty of room to deal with the hot-break. After that I sparge again and since most of the protein was already coagulated during the initial boil, it won't foam up as badly and can easily be contained.

Kai

Kai, that's pretty genious in that you don't have to take your entire volume up to boil temp at the same time. Probably shaves a good 15 minutes off the initial temperature ramp up that usually follows the sparge. This would still be a benefit even if you have a huge pot.

Bobby_M said:
Kai, that's pretty genious in that you don't have to take your entire volume up to boil temp at the same time. Probably shaves a good 15 minutes off the initial temperature ramp up that usually follows the sparge. This would still be a benefit even if you have a huge pot.

I do this--I use a 15.5 gal keggle, so I don't have any issue with pot size, but I figure it saves some time. The water for my second batch sparge goes into a cooler to hold while the first batch runnings drain into the keggle. I keep the burner on (not full bore) the whole time until the second batch runnings are through. Then I crank up the burner and usually reach boil quite quickly after that.

cweston said:
I do this--I use a 15.5 gal keggle, so I don't have any issue with pot size, but I figure it saves some time. The water for my second batch sparge goes into a cooler to hold while the first batch runnings drain into the keggle. I keep the burner on (not full bore) the whole time until the second batch runnings are through. Then I crank up the burner and usually reach boil quite quickly after that.

I do the same in my keggle.

I've not decided whether FWHing will affect hop utilisation though because of reduce initial volume

Latest posts

Back