30 gallon mash tun help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSomps6

Reaction score
So my homebrew club wants to make a 30 gallon mash tun for doing large batches or really high gravity beers. We are actually doing a 53 gallons of a Founder's KBS clone into a wooden barrel, so this is our excuse for the group to have one to share...

I saw a 30 gallon cooler at wallymart for like $50. Is there any reason I shouldn't convert one of these giant marine type coolers for use as a mash tun? What type of false bottom should I use? Should I batch sparge or fly sparge with this? I know most of this doesn't really matter, and I tried searching to see if anybody has done this, but didn't find anything. I'm just wondering if anybody tried this so I can learn from their mistakes....

I'm thinking I'll do a cpvc or copper false bottom as there will be a lot of weight from so much grain. And I'm also thinking channeling might be an issue in a large rectangle cooler, so should probably do a batch sparge?

Cheers!

:tank:

You can convert that cooler just as easily as the small ones.

Personally I would batch sparge so you don't have to worry about channeling issues.

A manifold or a heavy braid will work great.

The cooler idea sounds great. I'd probably batch sparge.

You should definitely buy from that bargainfittings guy. Great service, products, and prices.

Funny you bring this up. I just converted that exact cooler (120 qt Coleman Xtreme) for a group brew our homebrew club did this past weekend. I also got it at Wal-Mart for $50.

I used a 3/4" braided stainless water heater supply hose from Lowe's for $10 and the bulkhead fitting from Wayne at bargainfittings.com. It worked perfect. The cooler held 154F for the whole 60 minute mash and we hit our best efficiency yet at 90%. Batch sparging is a must if you use a braid instead of a manifold. We had no problems brewing 20 gallons of our Pale Ale and it could easily handle 25 gallons, but 30 gallons might be pushing it depending on the recipe. Here are some pics:

2271135650064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

2048225250064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

2363304250064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

2957224290064118341S600x600Q85.jpg

A copper manifold works good, with slots made from a hack saw. I would put a spring in the braided hose to keep it from crushing, otherwise it's likely drawing sweet wort at the coupling/ bulkhead.

I use a Kettle Screen from Austin HomeBrew in my 70 Qt. Igloo Extreme for my 10 to 15 gallon batches.

70QtMLT.JPG

I used to have a stainless braid in there, but I got tired of it catching the spoon while stirring. This stainless screen is rigid and stays in place. It came with 1/2" threaded fitting so it screwed right in. Works like a champ and won't interfere with stirring like a loose stainless braid. One of the best $14 I've spent on brewing.

Kettle-Screen-3.8-th.jpg

So my homebrew club wants to make a 30 gallon mash tun for doing large batches or really high gravity beers. We are actually doing a 53 gallons of a Founder's KBS clone into a wooden barrel, so this is our excuse for the group to have one to share...

I saw a 30 gallon cooler at wallymart for like $50. Is there any reason I shouldn't convert one of these giant marine type coolers for use as a mash tun? What type of false bottom should I use? Should I batch sparge or fly sparge with this? I know most of this doesn't really matter, and I tried searching to see if anybody has done this, but didn't find anything. I'm just wondering if anybody tried this so I can learn from their mistakes....

I'm thinking I'll do a cpvc or copper false bottom as there will be a lot of weight from so much grain. And I'm also thinking channeling might be an issue in a large rectangle cooler, so should probably do a batch sparge?

Cheers!

:tank:

30 Gallon?

I see no problem with it :)

100_1797.jpg

100_1807.jpg

100_1798.jpg

Back