30+ Bottle bombing photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
Made a chocolate coffee stout with Hershey's syrup. Must have kicked a whole bunch up while transferring to bottling bucket, which i believe probably doubled my priming sugar. I heard what sounded like shotgun blasts down in my basement and...

View attachment 134280

Attachments

• image-3768396183.jpg
    image-3768396183.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 739
I'm sorry for your loss... It's terrible when something tragic happens to our dear friends. After experiencing a couple bottle bombs due to uneven priming sugar mixing I now bottle a couple of each batch in brown plastic PET bottles so as soon as they get rock hard I know the batch is carbonated and can be moved to the fridge.

About to start cleaning, was a double batch, hoping to salvage the 50 or so that are left, put them in fridge for couple of days and then re-cap...which is what I should have done when I had the first one explode from this batch a month of guy. My own fault. Calling child protective services on myself.

Ouch! I remember how bad it sucked to clean up bombs, and how PISSED off SWMBO was!

About all you can do is cool em down and relieve the pressure like you said. After the bombs I kept all my beer in tubs until I got my kegging setup.

Total loss estimate after cleanup: 35-40 bottles...I'd describe the smell as..."the bomb".

Holy **** balls. I had no idea bottle bombs could be that severe. That could have really caused some serious injuries.

Oh wow...

Going to be bottling my first batch this weekend and I'm definitely going to err on the side of undercarbing and then line all my boxes with industrial black garbage bags and seal them up. Sorry this happened...

Oh wow...

Going to be bottling my first batch this weekend and I'm definitely going to err on the side of undercarbing and then line all my boxes with industrial black garbage bags and seal them up. Sorry this happened...

Dude, RDWHAB. Go back and read the original post. He put Hershey's Syrup in these and didn't let it ferment out. Make sure that your batch has reached FG by taking hydrometer samples two days apart and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Holy crap! I'm glad I got away from bottling.

2 words my friend: keg setup. Sorry for your loss.

So if I post some pictures of auto wrecks you guys gonna quit driving?

ya seriously be careful and wear some protective gear, a buddy of mine had one explode in his face and had to pick glass shards out of his chin and cheeks with tweezers. he was thinking he was lucky is didn't hit him in the eye.

TNGabe said:
So if I post some pictures of auto wrecks you guys gonna quit driving?

Yep! Never drive again!

No. I'm just glad I don't have to F@$k with 100 bottles every time that I brew, and I don't have to worry about this. Just an added bonus.

Don't forget to bring a towel.

But seriously, thanks for sharing the pic. You should make it into a label for the survivors.

Back