3 weeks question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithnick0

Reaction score
I brewed my BB Imperial blonde ale 3 weeks ago today. Should i take a reading today or wait another week or longer? It has been sitting in the primary this whole time and i havent touched it yet. I wasnt sure with it being a higher alcohol percentage beer?
Thanks!

3 weeks should be enough time to complete fermentation, assuming your other variables were correct (correct pitching amount, fermentation temp etc).

I would take a reading, wait 3 days and take another and if there isn't a change, go ahead and bottle.

I think I'd let it sit. if you need the primary, and have a secondary, you could transfer to open up the fermenter, or bottle if needed, but I'd let it roll on for a bit.

It's probably done it's thing by now. If you're in a hurry to drink it, and really who isn't?, then take a couple readings over the next few days and bottle/keg. If you just need the primary then a week or two in a secondary, while unnecessary, certainly won't be detrimental to the beer.

i dont need the primary at all. I just didnt know if i should take readings or just wait another week and then bottle it?

As long as you're careful, taking a reading can't hurt anything, but it can tell you where you're at in the fermentation process. Were it me, I'd take a reading, and take another reading in a few days, and if it's done, at this point I'd toss it in my cold-crash fridge for a few days. By the time a few days in there have gone by, you'll be at about 4 weeks total time, and at a potentially perfect point to bottle.

Back