3-way IPA (2017) clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipC1ty

Reaction score
I'm sad to notice that this beer is done being brewed and there are very few cans and kegs left. I was curious if anyone has or found a good clone to this brew. It's a delicious beer with a lot of flavor. Thanks for any help

I just went through Astoria and was able to get some from Fort George on draft, also snagged a 4pk. It was a really good NEIPA. They don't give much in terms of details on the site but they do provide the hops, ABV and an approximation of the color.

http://fortgeorgebrewery.com/beer/3-way/

They use Citra, Azacca, Mosaic and X331. You may have some trouble finding X331. Farmhouse Brewing has had them, but they are out of stock. http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/x331-hop-pellets-4-oz/ . You may try subbing Comet or Nugget.

Here's my guess for a starting point. Simple malt bill with enough crystal to get you to around 8 SRM for the "deep-gold" mentioned on the website. Stealing from Brufessor's famous NEIPA recipe, I did a split between Pale Malt and Golden Promise for some complexity. Add some oats too.

Use London Ale 3, Vermont Ale or whatever yeast you normally use for your NEIPA. Ferment at whatever temp you normally use.

Bitter with whatever you want at 60 minutes. I use 3/4oz of Columbus to get around 35IBUs. I've seen some people use less but I like my NEIPAs to retain some West Coast style bitterness.

Do .5oz additions of each hop at 5 mins and at flameout. Chill to 160F and add .5oz of each hop and whirlpool for 30 minutes.

Do an initial dry hop at day 3 of fermentation of 1oz of each hop. Keg hop with 1oz of each after 10 days of fermentation.

Here's a quick stab at a recipe:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: 3-Way IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.061
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 7.18%
IBU (tinseth): 87.08
SRM (morey): 8.07

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (60.6%)
4 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (24.2%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (12.1%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 35.25
0.5 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.68
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.44
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.9
0.5 oz - X331, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.12
0.5 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.01
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.74
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.84
0.5 oz - X331, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.68
0.5 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 10.21
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 7.49
0.5 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 8.51
0.5 oz - X331, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 6.81
2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - X331, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F

jordanfrenzy, great recipe!

Just a silly question guys, how do you do to make those recipes summaries ? With all the important data organized like that... Is it a software or something?

Thank you!

I'm sad to notice that this beer is done being brewed and there are very few cans and kegs left. I was curious if anyone has or found a good clone to this brew. It's a delicious beer with a lot of flavor. Thanks for any help

3-way is a seasonal so you can get them every year. The flavor is slightly different but always delicious in my mind.

I would like a clone recipe myself, did you try the suggested one.

Back