3 vessel, single-tier Aluminum set-up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHog87

Reaction score
I've already decied to go from my current three tier 5 gallon setup to a single-tier stand, pump, three vessel setup. I really like the look of all three vessels being the same whether they are pots or keggles so I'd like go from a cooler hlt, cooler mash tun, and aluminum pot to all three of the same size. I really want to eventually go to keggles because of the opportunity to go to 10 gallon batches (not that I see a need now but you never know). However, I've searched exhaustively on Criaigslist, called the local HBS, e-mailed some distributors, etc and the search for good used kegs has turned up empty. The only kegs I can find are new ones someone sells on CL and is wanting a hefty $160 per keg and then I'd still have to cut the top, buy the weldless hardware, etc.

SOOOO...I'm thinking of just getting something that will work for now and get me going and then, over the course of the next few years poach kegs off criagslist as they pop up or whever I can get them until I have three. I have someone ready to help me weld the stand together and so I plan on making it compatible with kegs in the future but, for now, also fit a cheap aluminum pots. I am thinkin of maybe keeping initial cost on the vessels down (since I plan to upgrade) by going with 10 gallon aluminu stock pots and buying the weldless fittings I'll need which, hopefully, I can the fittings over to the kegs if/when I get them.

My questions are in regards to cleaning my pump and plate chiller before brewing and when the brew is done. Since I will be using a pump and quick disconnects to run liquid between all three vessels on brewday, what would be my options for cleaning/sanitizing the lines/pump since I'd be using aluminum vessels and (as far as I understand) couldn't use StarSan. So far I've brewed with an aluminum stock pot and always just clean it myself without sanitizing and use StarSan on literally everything else. I liked the idea of of filling up a vessel with solution and recirculating the sanitizer through the pump/plate chiller/etc before and after brewing. I'm thinking, with aluminum, my only option would be running hot water through to hopefully clean/kill bacteria.

Any input would be appreciated, especially if anyone uses a pump with aluminum kettles and has a method to avoid ruining the kettles while still sanitizing their pump system.

Well Hopefully you are aware that you arent supposed to clean of the ugly oxidized layer of the aluminum because it actually acts as a protective barrier that prevents the metal from dissolving into your beer...

The national beer judge that teaches the hombrewing classes at my local supply store is dead set against brewing with aluminum and states "matter of factly" that it contributes to Alzheimers Disease although my research shows that is completely unproven and inconclusive at this time.... and it will likely stay that way for a while because of the $$ involved regardless of which way the facts point just like what happened with smoking or asbestos..(Even the Romans linked asbestos to health issues)

I know everyone has their favorites, but I prefer to have pots. Kegs are heavy and unwieldy. Pots are much easier to handle. My HLT was a converted keg. When I switched to a larger Mega pot, I felt it heated more efficiently too. I bought my 25 gal pot cheaper than when I bought my keg. I like stainless because I can clean it with what I want. No worries, and if you watch the restraint auctions you can get pots cheap. Plus it is a lot easier to weld the fittings on stainless. Good luck with what ever you choose to do. Figure out what you want and buy once. Would have save me a ton of cash if I had just bought 25 gallon pots to start with.

BTW there are many sellers selling kegs on ebay for $90-$100 shipped... you can even get them precut for $130 shipped... I would just go with a 15 gallon stainless pot myself as they can be had from many places for about $80 shipped.(if your doing 5-10g batches)...I just replaced my cooler MT and converted keg HLT to 16 gallon bayou classic pots I got pre drilled and they included the ballvalves and other hardware for $119 shipped a piece... much easier to use than the old keg.

the problem with 25gallon pots (especially to start with) is they are not practical or easy to brew 5 gallon batches with.... even though I could have gone with cheaper 20 gallon stainless pots than the 16 gallon ones I bought I felt they were the best size for MY needs.. everyone has different needs though. some go big and find they never really brew more than 5 gallons at a time and later downsize thier pots...and some go the other way. sometimes only time and experience will tell which is best for that person.
you could always just buy three kegs of beer and not return the empty kegs.... the $35 deposit covers what the beer manufacturer actually paid for them in bulk... especially with depreciation of use... and the ($60 or so they made in profit off the swill they sold in it) :)

Back