3 types of hop, don't know which to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atakanokan

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have freshly gathered hops from a farm nearby, a packet of hops which is used to make some kind of hops tea and the last one being dried hops. The pictures below are respectively arranged to give you a better idea what I'm talking about. My question is that can I use all of them, not at once but in different batches? Or do some kind of hops are missing the compounds that pelletized and packaged hops have? And if I can use them, what would be difference considering bitterness and flavor?
Thanks.

l%C3%BApulo-flores.png

KURU-SERBETCI-OTU-100-GR__28711221_0.jpg

serbetci-otu-500x500.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality.

The fresh hops should be used as soon as possible, not being dried will make them degrade or rot quickly. The dried hops can be stored in the freezer and used at your convenience. Don't know anything about the tea hops, but assume they are dried and would act similar to the other dried hops.

Fresh hops and leaf hops (the dried ones) have lower alpha acids than pellets and since it's most likely you don't know this number for these, I would stick to flavor and aroma additions for them. The fresh, undried hops will have a different flavor to them than dried of the same variety, but it will be enjoyable, a lot of breweries use them for beers around harvest time. Expect similar flavors from the dried hops to the same variety of pellets.

For more info on fresh hops check out this months BYO. Good luck with these, brew something awesome.:mug:

Latest posts

Back