3 Tier Stand with wort grant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bheggeseth

Reaction score
I am thinking through some ideas and would appreciate any feedback. I have a 16 gallon keg that I plan on installing a 4500 watt heating element, thermometer and dip tube with a hop stopper attached. The plan is to use this both for the hot liquor tank and for the boil kettle. Next I plan on using a rubber coated keg with extra insulation added for the mash tun. I will be using a jaybird false bottom and installing a thermometer. Last will be a wort grant that will store the wort until I am done using the hot liquor tank.

I currently have two 16 gallon kegs and a 6 gallon stainless steel bucket that I can use for the wort grant. I would like to only have to use one heating element and do not want to have to lift any hot liquid. The less tubing, valves, ect the better. So far the below plan meets these needs.

Walking through the process:
1. Heat HLT/BK. Open valve #1 to fill MLT.
2. Let MLT warm up, open valves # 2 and #3 and run pump if needed to get MLT to strike temp.
3. Fly or batch sparge using valves #1 and #2 along with pump.
4. Note batches over 6 gallons would have to batch sparge due to 6 gallon grant.
4. Drain any extra water from HLT/BK.
5. Open valve #3 drain wort grant into HLT/BK.
6. Boil wort.
7. Switch over tubing from valve #1 to counter flow chiller.
8. Gravity feed into fermentation vessel.

IMG_0210-1.jpg

More pictures to try and help show what I would like to do. The first picture shows the approx heights of each vessel. I want to be able to see inside of the HLT/BK and MLT. The plan will be to build a insulated skirt that fits around and under the keg. I am thinking about 4” thick. Note for whatever reason the previous owner felt the need to paint the rubberized keg silver.

IMG_0212-1.jpg

HLT/BK parts, note the heating element adapeter and dip tube come from conical-fermenter.com.
IMG_0213-1.jpg

MLT parts, note the bottom drain and thermometer are extra long to stick out past the insulation.
IMG_0214-1-1.jpg

I just finished my 3 tier system. the link is in my signature. Do you have a welder?

Back