#3 plastic water bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss1550

Reaction score
I have read a lot on staying away from the 5 gallon water jugs as primary or secondary fermenters. People say to look for number 1 and avoid number 7... my question is what about number 3 jugs?

I have 2 jugs I get water in from culligan that are number 3 plastic. I will have to look into purchasing some better bottles

I'll talk with the bottled water dude tomorrow and see what he has to say. The other day I THINK he was saying that everything was being weeded out in the bottled water industry except for the #1 PET bottles......

I had thought the same after the big toxic scare... if you are going to look into it definately let me know

Hackwood is right....The industry has begun eliminating all bottles other than #1, mainly due to the fact that a majority of bottle water customers do not want to have to consider any possible health effects from BPA , a chemical that's released in #7 bottles -polycarbonate- but only in prolonged exposure to heat, and over long periods of time.

This BPA issue has been long standing with the FDA , they have continued third party testing, and communicate that it is still a safe bottle(#7) , and the truth is you would have to drown yourself every day, for 12 years , for your health to be adversely affected by this. I recommend a #1 pet bottle myself, but I do , and would use a #7 without concern, as long as its not exposed to heat over long periods of time.:D

Bottle Water Dude

I appreciate the knowledge Buddhahood and thanks for laying it out here.

Now, with the #7 bottles and heat, is that the 100+ direct sunlight that we get here in AZ in the summer or would ferment temps in the 70s be of any concern?

Great question about the temps...... But First , I didn't want to forget about those that where asking about #2 and #3 bottles...... Any plastic bottle below #7 will have less oil, and polymers included in it, resulting in a thinner bottle that has a lesser life span dependent upon usage. For instance milk jugs are often#2 or #3 bottles, perfect for their applications, but not well suited for 100f plus conditions. Bottom line on plastic bottles is, any bottle #1- #7 that can be sanitized, hold liquid, will be usable, and safe for your process in not contaminated.

The temperature concern is as exactly as described by Hackwood. When you start to rise above 100F, the resins/oils in a thicker bottle (#7) will seep out very slowly over long periods of time if allowed to in liquid. Temps at or below 85F are not going to cause any affect to the bottle or liquid, regardless of #.

Temps at or below 85F are not going to cause any affect to the bottle or liquid, regardless of #.

That is good to hear. I'm sure lots here, or anywhere for that matter, have or will run into 5gallon plastic bottles that they might think won't be good for secondary or primary fermentation. It makes me feel better knowing that I can pick up pretty much any plastic 5gallon water bottle and use it. Not having to worry if it's #1, #7 or anything in between.

Latest posts

Back