3 or 5 gallon water jugs for carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

realtree2

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using the ones you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot? How would they do for a batch that wasn't going to be aged?

I'm not sure but they are for drinking water so I would guess they are food safe.

Check the number on the bottom of the container and look up what kind of plastic it is. I had checked some time ago for the bottles we use for our water and they weren't recommended for brewing purposes because of o2 permiability and not being designed/rated for acidic wort/beer

Check the number on the bottom of the container and look up what kind of plastic it is. I had checked some time ago for the bottles we use for our water and they weren't recommended for brewing purposes because of o2 permiability and not being designed/rated for acidic wort/beer

What number should it be?

Look in the center of the recycling logo (three arrows) It is generally thought that #7 is not acceptable to use (#7 is other plastic - usually lexan/polycarbonate - the BpA leeching one) Most water jugs are going over to #1 PETE which is the same as better bottles

I happen to be standing next to some here at work. They are the blue Culligan water bottles. Took a peek on the bottom, #1 PETE

Back