3 gallons in a 5 gallon Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love to make Belgians and I make 3 gallon batches as that's a sweet spot for me in terms of consumption. My issue is that WLP530 is a monster and always blows out the top. Now, I can set up and blowoff tube but then that needs to be cleaned up too. I was wondering if there are any issues with getting a 5 gallon fermonster and putting my 3 gallons of wort in there to ferment. I'm thinking the extra headspace would help keep my mess contained. Any issues with underfilling a fermenter by 40%?

Agreed. I've read that if there's too much headspace you'll oxidize the beer. But also read that people connect empty kegs with 5 gallons of "air" in them, to be purged with the CO2 from fermentation, and it's the greatest thing. I'm not saying that those 2 things are said by the same people, nor that either is, or is not, factual!

If you have a lingering concern, and are a kegging person, you could do some CO2 purging to be more safe. Yeast tend to use up dissolved oxygen quickly, from the wort that is. As for what's in the headspace I'm guessing it's purged out before it can have much of an effect.

Just leave that cozy blanket of co2 on top. If you mess with it too much after it finishes then you could lose it and get oxidation, infection.

I'd still put the blow off tube on if it was me. I use 5G buckets to ferment my 3.25G batches all the time and have had a couple of batches that needed the blow off tube. Other than that, good to go.

If 3 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon fermentor made bad beer, beer from open fermentation would suck.

Anchor-Steam-Beer-open-fermentation-500.jpg

I love to make Belgians and I make 3 gallon batches as that's a sweet spot for me in terms of consumption. My issue is that WLP530 is a monster and always blows out the top. Now, I can set up and blowoff tube but then that needs to be cleaned up too. I was wondering if there are any issues with getting a 5 gallon fermonster and putting my 3 gallons of wort in there to ferment. I'm thinking the extra headspace would help keep my mess contained. Any issues with underfilling a fermenter by 40%?
I do 6g batches and split them into two 5g BB’s. I’ve been doing this for 8-10 years and never a problem. If I’m going to secondary for dry hopping, etc. I CO2 transfer to a 3g BB to limit any O2 exposure.

I always use a 5 gallon carboy for my 3 gallon batches and it works perfectly. I actually start with 3.5 gallons so I finish with 3 gallons into my keg leaving the trub behind.

Latest posts

Back