3 Gallon Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've searched the forum and can't find the answer to my question. Due to a recent move, I now have a electric stove. I can only get around 2 gallons to boil, so I figured I would move to 3 gallon batches. Beer smith tells me everything will be ok to partial mash in my 5 gallon cooler and do a partial boil with a top off in fermenter. Does that sound like it would work? Thanks!

Sure it does but it might make cleanup easier if you used a BIAB technique where you would do your partial mash in the pot you intend to boil in. Your grains can be crushed very fine as they are contained in a nylon mesh bag which then becomes the filter when you drain instead of a grain bed forming the filter in your cooler. Just pull the bag of grains out when the mash is over and squeeze the wort out. If you want a little more efficiency you can do a pour through sparge step and squeeze the bag again. Dump out the spent grains and rinse the bag and you're done cleaning the mash tun. Then you can proceed as you normally would.

Back