3 gallon experiments w/ grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renegadesauer

Reaction score
I am new to grain brewing and bought 2 lbs each of 9 different types of grain. I want to make smaller 3 gallon test batches but am unsure how much water for steep and how much for sparge to have my final 3 gallons. Any advice?

Yes, unmalted wheat and Belgium cara-pils

Neither of those are base grains, they have no diastatic power. I'm not sure from your description what your project is. Are you wanting to make small all grain batches using just a single type of malt in each? Or did you buy a bunch of different specialty grains/adjuncts that you want to test in the same base recipe?

Nice way to start is make 5 gal batches, split into 2x 3 gal better bottles and use different yeast and maybe dry hop with different hops. that way you can compare what happens to the grains. Start with 2-row, MO, Munich etc. You end up with nice simple beers with enough difference to notice, and it helps train your beer sensors.

Back