3 failed saison attempts, but im not giving up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's just young. Unfortunately I can't really let you know until a couple of months from now. We just bottled it on Friday, after it was in primary for over 5 weeks.

I will update at that time though.

I have heard that some people have had success with slightly underpitching their yeast on some belgian beers to get a nice "belgiany" taste and smell. I might give that a try.

I also agree that even warmer temps will probably help get you there as well.

Did the soureness dissapear with time? Ive heard some people say that belle saison also gives som sour taste. Is there somewy to get around that? I really dont like when the beer gets a bit sour when its not supposed to be a sour...

Weird, I thought I replied to this...

It was just bottled on Friday, so it will still be a month or so before we pop open the first one.

I think that the main way to get around this is to just realize that the a lot of the saison strains are doing this, but it's aging out. So just knowing from the get-go that you'll have to let them age will likely help ease the worries.

On the other hand, it's likely some by-product of the yeast, though I honestly don't know what it would be, or at what stage it comes from. I suppose that it could potentially be diacetyl (?) and because of the high ferment temps to begin with that it's hard to get a true diacetyl rest. Just some sort of speculation going on there though. It could very well be some other sort of ester that is also eventually aging out.

I would bet the sourness is some sort of acetaldehyde sour-green-apple sort of flavor. At least thats how it makes sense to me that it conditions out really quickly.

Weird, I thought I replied to this...

It was just bottled on Friday, so it will still be a month or so before we pop open the first one.

I think that the main way to get around this is to just realize that the a lot of the saison strains are doing this, but it's aging out. So just knowing from the get-go that you'll have to let them age will likely help ease the worries.

On the other hand, it's likely some by-product of the yeast, though I honestly don't know what it would be, or at what stage it comes from. I suppose that it could potentially be diacetyl (?) and because of the high ferment temps to begin with that it's hard to get a true diacetyl rest. Just some sort of speculation going on there though. It could very well be some other sort of ester that is also eventually aging out.

Yesterday I bottled the saison. I tasted the sample after reading OG, it was at 1007 so abit high but i didnt ferment it hot enough.
The horrible thing now is that instantly when i opened the lid of the fermentor it smelled like som sort of cleaning alcohol or really bad moonshine.

the soureness was gone but instead this new thing had happened. I had cleaned the secondary carboy very thoroughly(dont know how to spell that) with chlorine bleach and rinsed it like 10 times or more and then had starsan in it for approx 10h.

Dont know what happened, its a really powerful smell. almost stings the eyes. a bit like oven clean solution...

Yesterday I bottled the saison. I tasted the sample after reading OG, it was at 1007 so abit high but i didnt ferment it hot enough.
The horrible thing now is that instantly when i opened the lid of the fermentor it smelled like som sort of cleaning alcohol or really bad moonshine.

the soureness was gone but instead this new thing had happened. I had cleaned the secondary carboy very thoroughly(dont know how to spell that) with chlorine bleach and rinsed it like 10 times or more and then had starsan in it for approx 10h.

Dont know what happened, its a really powerful smell. almost stings the eyes. a bit like oven clean solution...

Was this a constant, or was it just right when you opened it? Did you taste the gravity sample?

I had cleaned the secondary carboy very thoroughly(dont know how to spell that) with chlorine bleach and rinsed it like 10 times or more and then had starsan in it for approx 10h.

Why take the risk of chlorine contamination if you are using Starsan?
Contact time of 1 minute is enough and you risk leaving slimy calcium phosphate deposits with extended contact if your dilution water is not RO or distilled.

For the Saison I would suggest leaving it for at least a month in the bottle/keg before dumping it.

Was this a constant, or was it just right when you opened it? Did you taste the gravity sample?

I could smell it throughout the bottling session. Yeah i tasted it. The smell was the issue, it didnt taste like it smelled but it didnt taste good either. Ill try a bottle in 2-3 weeks and see the progress

Why take the risk of chlorine contamination if you are using Starsan?
Contact time of 1 minute is enough and you risk leaving slimy calcium phosphate deposits with extended contact if your dilution water is not RO or distilled.

For the Saison I would suggest leaving it for at least a month in the bottle/keg before dumping it.

i used chlorine since im worried that the off flavor that Ive been getting is from some sort of infection. Ive always used starsan but i have still had 3 infected batches so i wanted to be sure that no bacteria could be in my fermenter...

This thread makes me terribly depressed. Ive found saisons to be one of the most forgiving styles. I hope you can get your approach straightened out

I would suggest using a different yeast. Saisons are the msot yeast driven style I can think of. I make saisons non-stop and FWIW, the only bad one I made was from trying to step up dupont dregs (though ive heard of others having success). Im guessing maybe your dregs you started with were just not healthy at all...try getting an actual yeast from a manufacturer

This thread makes me terribly depressed. Ive found saisons to be one of the most forgiving styles. I hope you can get your approach straightened out

I would suggest using a different yeast. Saisons are the msot yeast driven style I can think of. I make saisons non-stop and FWIW, the only bad one I made was from trying to step up dupont dregs (though ive heard of others having success). Im guessing maybe your dregs you started with were just not healthy at all...try getting an actual yeast from a manufacturer

then you can imagine how depressing it is for me to fail over and over again.

Now that i have a way of controlling temperature, how would you suggest i handle the fermentation process? At what temp do i pitch? Should i just go warm right away >90F? or slowly let it rise over a couple of days? I want to get that funky saison dupont smell and those lovely pepper notes...

My fermentation profile, for every saison strain I have, is:
- pitch a bit below 70
- insulate fermentor with a heavy winter jacket
- free rise 36-48hrs
- stick in rope tub w/ aquarium heater set to ~92F
- leave it there for 1 week at least
- remove and let cool to room temp 2-3 days before packaging

My fermentation profile, for every saison strain I have, is:
- pitch a bit below 70
- insulate fermentor with a heavy winter jacket
- free rise 36-48hrs
- stick in rope tub w/ aquarium heater set to ~92F
- leave it there for 1 week at least
- remove and let cool to room temp 2-3 days before packaging

Ill try that on my next attempt in a few weeks. but, do you package the beer within 2 weeks from brewday? If ive hit a low g reading and it has stopped dropping, can i bottle it then or is it better to wait longer? My IPAs and similar i bottle after about 2 weeks but my (low abv)belgians i leave in the fermentor for 3-4 weeks, dont really know why i do that actually. I assume that the high temperature fermentation gets the job done quickly and after that theres no reason to wait anymore...?

it depends on hwo I am packaging it. If im bottling, I like to go 3 weeks, but kegs ill sometimes use as a purged secondary and bottle in 2 weeks or so. But yeah, I have found that the high temps gets them to FG by as little as day 7 though.

All of my bottled saisons are drinkable less than 1 month from brew day though

it depends on hwo I am packaging it. If im bottling, I like to go 3 weeks, but kegs ill sometimes use as a purged secondary and bottle in 2 weeks or so. But yeah, I have found that the high temps gets them to FG by as little as day 7 though.

All of my bottled saisons are drinkable less than 1 month from brew day though

New attempt tomorrow. pilsner, spelt malt(9%) and sugar (9%). an addition of styrian at 60 and one at 30. no late addition this time. Im going to use more yeast than last time and use your fermentation schedule.

Just noticed that it seems that I mentioned something from this, but never posted the link. Shame on me if so. It´s something saison master Shaun Hill of Hill Farmstead wrote a long time ago.

Scroll down to brewmaster´s notes for great guidelines. The rest is fun history. http://archive.is/VkRos

New attempt tomorrow. pilsner, spelt malt(9%) and sugar (9%). an addition of styrian at 60 and one at 30. no late addition this time. Im going to use more yeast than last time and use your fermentation schedule.

good luck! Hope it finally works out for you. Ive done about everything except a spelt saison. Ive wanted to make a saison with ~30% spelt to see what it actually tastes like but havent been able to get my hands on any. Feels stupid to place an order from a random site just for a few lbs of spelt. Whered you get your from?

good luck! Hope it finally works out for you. Ive done about everything except a spelt saison. Ive wanted to make a saison with ~30% spelt to see what it actually tastes like but havent been able to get my hands on any. Feels stupid to place an order from a random site just for a few lbs of spelt. Whered you get your from?

I don´t know how it is where you are from, but here, in Sweden, I can go to the local bio / health / veggy store and get spelt and all manner of grains. Kind of fun and needs to be explored by me more.

A swedish online store...i think the brand is Best Malz. Alot of american supliers seem to have the same...
Ive tried it before but havent really got any idea of what it tastes like. If this recipe works out ill probably use more next time...

Latest posts

Back