3 Day Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
I love Belgian Ales and especially Chimay. I think it is one of the best Belgians I've ever tried. So naturally, when I got the chance to see a documentary on the Trappist monks that make it, I tuned in.

I was very shocked to hear the brewmaster at the monastery say that they ferment in 500 gallon batches and complete primary fermentation in three days! They then rack to a secondary for three more days and then bottle on the seventh day. After three weeks of bottle conditioning, it's shipped out to market. So they go from yeast pitching to point of sale in under thirty days. Are they using some kind of super yeast? I mean we're not talking swill here. This is really good ale! Does anyone have the skinny on their secret? I would really be interested in knowing their secret to such rapid production of such a quality product.

there are many odd things that come up in Belgian beers the use of higher fermentation temps and higher pitching rates tend to be hard to replicate unless you have tried it. i would say if the beer is really estery they ferment high. if it is not estery they use more yeast then normal that would ferment the beer really quick. most likly you can buy the yeast they use from WL

Back