3 BBL Stout Tank HERMS Brewery Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyinsonoma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I'm about to take possession of a Stout Tank brewery. I'm looking at direct firing this system with propane and have some questions on fitting it with the appropriate pump for the HERMS. I also may have overlooked an important element when ordering, possibly forgetting to order a grant.

I'd like to hear your opinions on what you would do if you had this system and if there is a rule of thumb on the volume of wort transfer I would need to keep temps consistent in the mash tun.

Here is what I have:

3 BBL Mash tun
3 BBL Brew Kettle
3 BBL Hot Liquor Tank with HERMS coil.

I'm having an LPG burner made by www.wardburners.com most likely.

Does anyone have any experience with automating the sparge temp controls on these? I'm thinking everything is 1.5" triclamps except for the 3" fitting on the brew kettle because I was going to draw out a lot of corn which after rethinking it was a bit of a mistake because after trials the false bottoms are an amazing gift and became painfully obvious they would be necessary for boiling corn for other projects. I was also considering direct steam for that purpose but things have adjusted a little.

I also was wondering if anyone has utilized a hot water heater on demand system. I have a takagi Monster 300k btu on demand heater for 1" flow upto 15 gallons per minute and can get up to mash temps out of the tap, which was really nice when I need to boil the corn first. I can put out 180 degree water on demand but only at 5gpm because I'm on an off the grid gravity fed water system.

I'm trying to make a shorter entry into cooking. I wanna get to business faster, haha.

I'd like to use something like oscsys.com system to measure and manipulate temps.

Thanks for any and all input. When it arrives and I have some time to put it together I'll take some pics and walk through what I've done. It should be here on tuesday. I've got a March beer pump ordered and hope this will work to plumb into this thing to do manual brews for the time being. I'm way more visual so once its all in front of me, I'll draw out a list of parts and make some more steps getting it going. Someone needs to make a kit for these thanks, its weird they don't sell direct fire setups for them. They are made for electric only but I'm in california and that's not a good idea here. Its upto .65/kwh if you go through that much power.

You should probably ask this on probrewer.com but I doubt a HERMs would be needed if you insulate the MT and I also doubt it would have any appreciable effect on the mash temps even if you did run it. There's alot of thermal mass in that grain.

But a big YES on the on demand hot water.

I have done some 2 BBL batches and the mash temp only drops 2 or 3 degress over an hour, depending on weather. With insulation I'm sure it would be better, but this is good enough for me for now. I'm guessing you figured this out already tho

Latest posts

Back