3-4 week sour mash too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierDiks

Reaction score
I Mashed 9Lb of grain for a stout, sparged with 170 water, But was not able to brew for certain reasons.
I stored the 3.5gallons of wort in a empty cornny i have, & its been three or four weeks now. smells to hell.
I've done a sour mash wit before, but only for 7 days,.. but 3 or 4 weeks?.. Yikessss!!!

Dose anyone think it's too late, or should I proceed with my plan?

So, my plan is to mash another 8lbs of a vienna/2row/munich grist.
Then siphon the sourmash to my kettle, mix the two mashes and boil for a ten gallon batch.
Or Is it just too late?

I am one for experimentation from spontaneous fermentation to dry hoggin' my beer, also have done a few sour mashes, but this seems pretty far gone. Did the corny have some gas in it or just O2? I think the test would be to drink it and not smell it. If it tastes pleasantly sour, I would go ahead

I tasted it, it was very sour almost tart, nothing to crazy. seamed like it was even a little carbed, weird. I got no hint of vinigary smell either. It Has like a pale white foam on top too. Hopefully I don't just waste more grain on it.
Quik quest. Should I end up bottling this or Keging?

it is fermenting in your corny keg no doubt. Are you saying you want to bottle or keg just the sour mash?

I want to make another mash and boil both together, & make a 10gal batch. ferment it out as usual.

After, when it is done fermanting, do you think it will be better to bottle this kind of beer or keg it.?

Thank for the fast responses too hopsalot...

I really dont think it will make a difference, but this seems like a beer that you will not be slamming down. I would bottle so it does not take up keg space for too long

Back