3/4 gal starters finish my beer in 2 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karbinator

Reaction score
With my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd AG batches, I began to make yeast starters
for the first time. Probably shouldn't have while Newly going AG, , but after reading about theKick it provides, I thought it couldn't hurt

Is it really possible for a 1.53/4 gal starter to finish out an Ed Worts Bavarian Hefe in 2 days ? SG @ 1.054, and 2 days out @ .012!
Also, my first AG was off (on the upside gravity) because I boiled out
wayyyy too much water..(left with 4 gal) .. Before pitch I had 1.070, and only 5 days out from a 1/2gal starter of british yeast, I had 1.012.
SG was supposed to be 1.048...:rockin:...

The Question is....IF the starter can do the work this fast...does it still need to rest the "appropriate" age time in the 1st, and secondary before kegging?
I'm assuming so, but need confirmation.

Thanks guys,

KArb

The Question is....IF the starter can do the work this fast...does it still need to rest the "appropriate" age time in the 1st, and secondary before kegging?
I'm assuming so, but need confirmation.

The short answer is yes. I leave mine in primary for at least 10 days. The yeast have many other things going on in there than just getting the gravity down. They will clean up after themselves and leave you a better brew. :rockin:

leave the beer on the yeast for at least 2 weeks and keg it ... secondary is old tech

leave the beer on the yeast for at least 2 weeks and keg it ... secondary is old tech

I disagree. Many beers need more time. German Ales/Kolsch improve with a cold secondary storage. I will use a short secondary or skip for some pale ales, wheats, IPA's etc... that may not benefit as much from aging, but others need it. I plan to age my christmas old ale for 4-5 months some of that will be secondary and other will be in a bottle or keg.

Give your beer 2 weeks in the fermenter so it cleans up. If it is a bigger beer, sometimes I leave it longer and will get a few more points out of it. Look at your stlye and see if you need the secondary.

When I visiited Stone Brewery last year the question came up on how long fermentation was and the response was 2 days for the Pale ale and then they moved it to a bright tank. They pitch a boat load of yeast as well. I guess it's possible to move it but I would let it age somewhere for a bit of time.

I think that it depends on the style of beer that you wish to create, but IMHO I would rather have a $2 mass produced double mash beer than a $5 Stone IPA. Stone needs to use better water and change a number of other aspects to their process.

I disagree. Many beers need more time. German Ales/Kolsch improve with a cold secondary storage.

exactly ... cold store in the keg.

if you keg, secondarying in a glass carboy just exposes the beer to another dose of oxydation, particularly if there is excess head space.

most brewers use secondary because they just will not leave the beer in primary as long as they should.

From everything I have learned...I normally only do a primary and I leave the beer in there for about 10 days give or take a day or two. 2 day fermentation is great, but the beer still needs a little time in the primary to let the yeast drop out and allow it to clear up a little.

Secondary appears to be pointless unless you are lagering.

After your beer has cleared in the primary, be it in a week or a month, it's better off aging in the bottle/keg/lagering vessel IMO.

From everything I have learned...I normally only do a primary and I leave the beer in there for about 10 days give or take a day or two. 2 day fermentation is great, but the beer still needs a little time in the primary to let the yeast drop out and allow it to clear up a little.

Secondary appears to be pointless unless you are lagering.

After your beer has cleared in the primary, be it in a week or a month, it's better off aging in the bottle/keg/lagering vessel IMO.

How about dryhopping then bottling? Do you just throw them in the primary?

How about dryhopping then bottling? Do you just throw them in the primary?

I actually do. Figure about 5-7 days for fermentation, 7-14 days for dry hopping...after 2 weeks in there the hops fall out and your beer has only been sitting on the yeast for a total of 3 weeks. That isn't at all unreasonable.

*Edit: I know my way isn't the only way of course, different strokes for different folks and what not.*

I think that it depends on the style of beer that you wish to create, but IMHO I would rather have a $2 mass produced double mash beer than a $5 Stone IPA. Stone needs to use better water and change a number of other aspects to their process.

:eek: :confused: Stone Brewery & their beer was one of my favorite things about southern california

I plan to age my christmas old ale for 4-5 months some of that will be secondary and other will be in a bottle or keg.

+1 on the above. I have 2 Christmas brews that are aging in carboys at the moment. Will bottle them late September or early October to give three months bottle conditioning.

:confused::confused::confused:

Uhh.....

Their beer is only considered the benchmark American IPA.

I can't find a flaw in it.

Latest posts

Back