2xBIAB Process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShintoZ

Reaction score
Hi all!
New here, but I am 6-7 brews into learning. I only did one extract kit before jumping to partial/BIAB and experimenting with other things like Mead and high-abv, malt-liquor style beers... getting the “weird” out first.
Bought a bottling gun from an online supplier, and they ended up sending me a second box, with two 5-gallon all-grain kits, complete. They couldn’t restock them so I kept them for $0. This was awesome, but it presented a problem because I don’t have the kit for doing all-grain... and I wasn’t looking to acquire it after the other investments in beer making... at least not so soon.

I don’t see too many mentions about 2xBIAB or Double Brew in a Bag on here, so I thought I would go over what I have done with these two brews, which has worked out for me, in case someone wants to do 5-gallons of all-grain, but needs other options.

Instead of using two pots for brewing/holding boil, I use two 5-gallon pots and a 15-gallon igloo cooler, with a spout on the bottom.

The BIAB process is the same, but I double the liquid recipe, and split the grain/adjuncts in half... since I am using 2x the normal amount of grain.

So... 5 quarts of water in each pot to target temp (around 158F, depending on the recipe’s Sacch rest temp, aiming just a little high to start), then transfer water to igloo. Add the grain bags, position thermometer between and close lid, for 60 minutes, checking every 15 minutes to ensure it keeps temp. Don’t want to fall under sacch rest temp. Adjust with heated water if necessary.

Take bags out and squeeze/drip (squeezing doesn’t release tannins; that is folklore). Close lid.

After that is over and while you are waiting, prep 5 quarts of water in each pot and bring to 185F. Take pots off heat. Place one bag into water in each pot. Steep 15 minutes.

Take bags out and squeeze/drip. Add liquid to igloo. Position bags in strainers over igloo. Heat 2 quarts water in each pot to 185F. Rinse bags with water, into igloo. Squeeze/drip bags.

Position stacked 5-gallon pots under igloo spout. Open the spout and run half the liquid into each, switch/moving in the middle of the drain.

Begin your boil in each pot, for your regular boil times, doing hop-additions at correct times, but splitting the additions/amounts across each pot.

After boil, add to primary and begin the cool/pitch process, and add any top-up water necessary.

I’ve done this twice now and have hit target numbers or better in both cases. There is a bit more washing and sanitizing involved, but the addition of the cooler as “storage” frees up pots for staging the next part of the BIAB process.

I hope if someone is looking to do all grain for one reason or another, but doesn’t have all the kit necessary, this helps.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back