2nd PM - way off on OG and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfmn

Reaction score
Hey There -- Made my 2nd partial mash last weekend and had a poor efficiency of 60% and my OG was 1.063 and target was 1.078. Here's my recipe (bells 2 hearted clone) and procedure; I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I did wrong as my 1st PM was >80% efficiency and I overshot OG with no problems :confused:

Mash Recipe:
6 lb 2 row
2 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Carafoam
.5 lb Crystal 20

Boil:
1 oz centennial at 60 min
1 oz centennial at 15 min
3 lb extra light DME @ 15 min
1 oz centennial @ 5 min
1 oz centennial @ 1 min

I used beersmith for the recipe, volumes, calculations and preheated my 5 gallon cooler. I forgot to uncheck the box that factors preheating, so I put in 12 quarts @ 171 and my initial mash was way too high in the mid 160's. I used ice to cool it down to 154 and put the cover on for 70 minutes. I stirred it once in the beginning but not very vigorous (which was probably a big mistake?)

I drained out after it was done resting and batch sparged with 175 degree water. Again, I just put water in and drained it out. Did I lose a ton of efficiency by not letting it sit for a bit and/or not stirring like mad again?

My pre-boil OG was around 1.05 when it should have been much higher (I think beersmith estimated it at 1.086 or so before adding my top off water). I didn't add any kettle water and boiled whatever I had from the sparge and mash. I topped off with about a gallon to get me to 5.25 gallons in my fermenter. Shook the hell out of it and checked my gravity again. It was 1.063. Everything is coming along fine now; just will have a lot lower ABV than expected.

Any ideas as to where I can improve my procedure?? I'm a little frustrated but want to brew again ASAP and improve things :D

Was the recipe for a 3 gal batch? With that malt bill I get a eff og 61% with a gravity of 1.063 in a 3 gal batch

Was the recipe for a 3 gal batch? With that malt bill I get a eff og 61% with a gravity of 1.063 in a 3 gal batch

Nope -- beersmith was set up for a 5 gallon batch. I'm at work currently so can't post the specifics, but I do know it was set at 5 gallons

Back