2nd*Brew day Saturday. First all-grain (BIAB).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawalkertiger

Reaction score
Had a great time Saturday with my crew (SWMBO and my buddy Tommy D). Found the recipe for Reaper’s Mild from azscoob and like the reviews and it sounded like a nice session ale for summer coming up. Got the ingredients a week ago at a “local” HBS (the closer ones are not so impressive, this one was 2.5 hours away, but I was there for son’s basketball tourney anyway). Great place (www.homebrewery.com*if you’re interested).

Tommy D laying it down while waiting for the strike water to come to temp.

ForumRunner_20130401_082129.jpg

A watched brew pot never boils. Does anyone know if they still make that Rhinelander swill? Love the shirt though. I’ve had it for over 20 years.

ForumRunner_20130401_082145.jpg

Mashing in. Strike a pose, Tom! We did a full-volume BIAB mash. May not do full volume next time.

ForumRunner_20130401_082200.jpg

Sweet, sweet wort! Substituted Williamette (7.5%) for the Fuggles and adjusted the quantity down in Beersmith 2 to get into the style range.

ForumRunner_20130401_082213.jpg

SWMBO and Tommy D enjoying a craft brew.

ForumRunner_20130401_082227.png

SWMBO trying out the hydro sampler (I didn’t break my hydro this time).* Was trying to hit 1.038 and got 1.034. Gotta tinker with my boil off and grain absorption numbers, I think. Any suggestions here? Ended up with quite a bit more wort than expected (closer to 6 gal!).

ForumRunner_20130401_082244.jpg

Pitched the rehydrated Nottingham and set her up. Very active airlock within 12 hours, still bubbling away this morning. The Kolsch on the left has another week of fermentation.

ForumRunner_20130401_082259.jpg

If you are under gravity and over on volume, just boil a bit longer to even things out.

Thanks. It seems logical that the grind can affect water absorption into the grain. Is that actually true? Seems that finer grind could mean less absorption.

I am note sure about absorption, but a finer crush on the grain usually lends to a higher efficiency .

Back