2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheatbeerPY

Reaction score
I got 1 batch of weizenbier in bottles that are 1 week into carb, and 1 batch in the fermenter. it says wait 21 days on top of the 2 week carb period. do i have to? Also can i squeeze some lemon in my bottling bucket right before i bottle it?

I got 1 batch of weizenbier in bottles that are 1 week into carb, and 1 batch in the fermenter. it says wait 21 days on top of the 2 week carb period. do i have to? Also can i squeeze some lemon in my bottling bucket right before i bottle it?

You don't have to wait - wheat beers are actually one of those styles that get good very quickly and will start to deteriorate with age. I would not squeeze lemon juice into it, the acidity of it make me nervous. You can look into lemon or citrus extracts, though

As a rule, 3 weeks of bottle conditioning is minimum. After that it depends on the type of beer. I read that the weizenbeers are some of the fastest beers to bottle condition.

You're better off to squeeze a fresh lemon slice into the glass at serving time, the lemon juice taste does not seem to age well. I haven't tried it with beer, but I did try adding lemon juice to a pitcher of iced tea once and by the next day it didn't taste right.

I'm not a wheat beer guy at all, but the question about adding the lemon juice is an interesting one. Could one possibly add lemon zest (scrape the outside of a lemon peel) into the wort at some point?

Back