2nd batch, very frustrated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold71

Reaction score
Okay I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here but I'm screwing something up. I'm having the same exact problem as I had with my first batch. I took my time and followed the instructions on my kit very carefully. When the wort was done I added it to my fermentation bucket and added water to bring it to 5 gallons. Gave it a good stir, and pitched my yeast. About 12 hours later it started to bubble for about 24 hours and stopped completely. It's been about a week now so I took a gravity reading today, at it's at 1.020. The same EXACT gravity reading my last batch got stuck at. I know it's only been a week but I'm willing to bet that in another week or two it will still be at 1.020. This kit is supposed to be around 8% ABV. What am I doing wrong and is there anyway to save this batch?

Extract kits seem to do that- I had more than a couple finish at 1.020 and wouldn't go any lower. It has to do with the fermentability of the extract. There isn't much you can do now, but for next time make sure you add the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil so it doesn't cook and that can help somewhat.

This might be a "duh", but are you reading the FG with a refractometer or a hydrometer? When I first got my refractometer I thought my FG was stuck at 1.030 for a week before I found out you can't read the FG with a refractometer without a little calculating. Now I stick with the hydro for FG readings. Good luck!

You can try rock your fermenter back and forth a bit to kick the yeast back up into suspension and mayyyyyybe get a couple more points out of it.

Back