2nd batch, lactose complications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatesfury

Reaction score
Ok, so i ordered the AHS gold seal chocolate stout kit, and brewed it up (smells amazing btw, if you like chocolate stout, i'd tell you to try it from the taste at partial fermentation).

OG was 1.080 (really high, i know). It fermented like mad for about a week, but then it got colder than i meant for it to (61F area). I transferred to secondary (i normally wouldn't but directions called for it). for 3 days before the transfer i had been unable to observe any bubbles in the airlock even for 2-3 minutes of watching. I checked my gravity at the time of transfer at i was down to 1.025. 6 days in secondary and still no fermentation (i have moved it to a warmer part of the house).

So here's my question. Not knowing the actual volume of the lactose in the mix (kit, of course they're not going to give exacts) does this gravity still seem high, or would even a moderately small amount of lactose (no more than 1lbs MAX) push the gravity up that much?

Doing the conversion i'm around 7% abv, which should be spot on or even a tough high for this beer.... so i guess being a noob i'm just looking for a reassuring pat on the head?

Have you taken another SG reading since transfering to secondary six days ago? If so, what was the reading? What is the estimated FG?

With the numbers you provided, I calculate 68% apparent attenuation.

A half pound of lactose will add roughly .004 to the gravity (both OG and FG). So if the gravity is stable, you're probably just about done.

Back