2nd batch ever one of my top 4-5 beers ever tasted...is that possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witster18

Reaction score
no big deal for some people rt? only I've drank just about everything under the sun... I've toured GLBC and had most of new glarus stuff... most of the big craft breweries stuff -I've had it... and I honestly think this second batch that I've ever brewed is in my top 4 or 5 beers I've ever tasted. Beginner's luck? GOal for the third batch is simple... re-create the 2nd batch exactly.... or as close as humanly possible... that and save 1 or 2 of these bombers for as long as possible... because it's defo something special... grinning from ear to ear this morning... drank 3 bombers last night and had to force myself to stop.... the wife doesn't have the same beer palate/knowledge, but she said "it's the best beer I have ever tasted"... it might be the best I'VE ever tasted... wew... great morning.:ban:

tastes in between a great steam beer and a great export lager with a touch of paulaner/commodore perry-like yeast funkiness... it's freakin scrumptious.

You're hopelessly hooked now. I'll bet there's some brew gear on your Christmas wish list.:D

Well post the recipe - it SOUNDS scrumptious! I've got a fermenter with nothing to do and a whole weekend to play...:D

wow... just got my first case of beer-over-protection... dunno if I'm ready to do that... don't get me wrong I've got every detail...

I knew I was hooked when went into a local restaurant, ordered a draft pint and after a few pulls, turned to my companions and casually mentioned that it would be better with 1.5 lbs of pale chocolate malt. We all burst out laughing when we realized that a recipe that was brewed without change for 250 years probably wouldn't be altering its grain bill for me!!! (but you can bet my dry Irish stout includes chocolate malt!!!)

This is great news for you. Hopefully you have all the gory details of your brew day and recipe so you can duplicate it. Sounds like you do....

VG:D

First batch of beer i ever brewed was an extract, it was a chocolate stout that I aged for a month with some bourbon soaked oak, stuff was like crack. It was gone in a few days everyone said it was the best beer they ever tasted. SHMBO still asks me when I'm making it again

recipe minus the gravity's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

only because I've gotta keep somethin to myself rt..?

5oz uk crisp crystal malt
5oz dark munich malt
2oz flaked barley
9.8 lbs weyerman pale malt
mashed with 3.3 gallons at 168-169, then sparged with additional 1.5 (at more like 150),yielded/started boil with about 4g of wort, yielded 3.6 or so in the end....
added 1oz cascade pellets at 30 and .7oz cascade whole hops at 42 of the 60min boil... did NOT add irish moss or whirfloc... bottled cond with 1.1oz of dextrose per gall... used t-58 dry yeast and really pushed cold end of temps especially in the first 10 hours... then back up to 64degrees for remainder of fermentation... also crashed for about 8-10 hours before bottling. final abv was 6.1..... they were really good already at 5 days, and fantastic at 10... morphed a bit into more of a spotted cow/liberty ale clone... strong and fruity... great brew.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402163918.556143.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

First batch of beer i ever brewed was an extract, it was a chocolate stout that I aged for a month with some bourbon soaked oak, stuff was like crack. It was gone in a few days everyone said it was the best beer they ever tasted. SHMBO still asks me when I'm making it again

Why haven't you made it again and when will you?

I would like to see the gravities because I think that mashing at 168* would make for a very sweet finished beer.

Back