2nd All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaggy

Reaction score
I did my second all grain batch yesterday, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I designed the recipe from an Octoberfest extract kit I made earlier in the year, with a little altering:

10 lb Vienna Malt
.5 lb Light Crystal 60L
.5 lb CaraAmber 35L
.5 lb CaraPils 15L
1 oz. Hallertau leaf (in mash)
1 oz. Willamette pellet (30 min)
Irish Moss (15 min)
1 oz. Willamette pellet (10 min)
Saflager W-34/70

I mashed in at 155 with 4 gallons of water (I was shooting for 154). After 45 minutes of mashing, I got 2.5 gallons of first runnings and mashed out at 168 with 4 gallons. I did a 60 min boil (6.5 gallons starting volume), and my chiller got it down to 65 degrees in about 35 minutes (The cold weather helped a bit). I pitched the yeast in 5.75 gallons (OG 1.054). Now it's sitting in a spare room at 50 degrees. I punched the numbers in Beersmith, and it's got my efficiency at 75% !! I'm really happy with this, since it's only my second all grain and I'm batch sparging.

Awesome, great work!

For your next oktoberfest you might want to try a more traditional recipe (pilsner, munich, vienna), but if you are getting great results don't mess with success!

Back