2nd AG attempt, First one just okay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmonduke

Reaction score
So, I had a few problems with my first AG venture and was hoping with a little guidance I can improve upon my experience. Basically what I was trying to make was a light body boulevard wheat clone that light, clean, with lemony finish like the real deal. What I ended up with was a bit darker, stronger, and more bitter. I ended up alot higher OG (1.059) than expecting and I'm not sure how. I batch sparge with cooler/steel braid. Here is the basic recipe I followed:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
5 lbs white Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.50oz Magnum [14.60 %] (90 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 169 F 154 F

Here is my thoughts on batch number two to address my issues with my first batch. I'm thinking of dropping IBU back a bit to 13 which I think my first batch was closer to 18-19. I think I'll change grain bill up slightly. I want it to finish out a little lighter so how does this recipe look (found a recipe on here and just made some changes to it):

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs white Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.25 oz Magnum [14.60 %] (90 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (10 min)
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 167.7 F 152.0 F

I don't have BeerSmith or anything like that yet so I'm just kinda shooting from the hip and basing off of recipes seen here on this site.

What I'm hoping is to get some suggestions to refine the second recipe to address the issues with my first batch.

thanks in advance!

First, buy Beersmith. I think buying now will get you the newest version free (coming soon). It's quite usable and allows you to identify problems such as:

-beer style of Amer Wheat shows 1.040-1.055 as good range. Your second recipe comes up to 1.044 at75% efficiency. This will net you a 4.17% brew assuming you finish at 1.012.
-your ibus in brew 2 believe it or not is up to 26 (high alpha hops add up quickly). To get to 15, reduce both hops to .25 oz for 20 mins. I would consider using different hops unless those are the proper ones for that beer. Your first brew ibu was around 36...

buy Beersmith or use a brewing calculator to get better visibility to the elements you need.

Good luck.

First, buy Beersmith. I think buying now will get you the newest version free (coming soon). It's quite usable and allows you to identify problems such as:

-beer style of Amer Wheat shows 1.040-1.055 as good range. Your second recipe comes up to 1.044 at75% efficiency. This will net you a 4.17% brew assuming you finish at 1.012.
-your ibus in brew 2 believe it or not is up to 26 (high alpha hops add up quickly). To get to 15, reduce both hops to .25 oz for 20 mins. I would consider using different hops unless those are the proper ones for that beer. Your first brew ibu was around 36...

buy Beersmith or use a brewing calculator to get better visibility to the elements you need.

Good luck.

Thank you for the quick response..The hop types are what Boulevard actually uses which is why I went with them..I may have to break down and buy it.

buy beersmith.. you won't regret it. I use mine just about daily as an idea for a beer pops into my head. I tinker around for a bit and either have a recipe that I feel is worth trying or I delete it.. either way it makes life a lot easier than flying blind.

If you don't want to drop the $20 on beersmith try brewtarget...it's free. I've never played with beersmith so I can't comment on that but I can say that brew target is a really nice product. I've used it to put together several recipes and I think it has many of the features of beersmith

You definitely should get your hands on some type of brew program. I hear Beersmith is great, especially considering a new release is coming out this Friday. Have also heard very good things about Brewtarget as well which is free.

I've also developed my own brew workbook that is free as well. You can find it in my signature below. Would also be a good start for you as it's setup for all grain batch sparge brewing. Covers pretty much everything from grain to glass.

With how far off you were with your ibu assumptions it would really be a good idea to get something to work with that will help you plan your brews better. That way you can be confident that you have a plan to make what you are truly intending to make. There is a lot of math involved in brewing if you are doing it by hand or using many different sources. Best to have it all in one place so that on brewday you are concentrating on brewing and measuring rather than math etc...

good luck.

cp

If you don't want to drop the $20 on beersmith try brewtarget...it's free. I've never played with beersmith so I can't comment on that but I can say that brew target is a really nice product. I've used it to put together several recipes and I think it has many of the features of beersmith

I've used Promash, I've used BrewTarget, and I've used other apps out there for brewing software.. for me beersmith was easier to use and more intuitive... BrewTarget is another good one though.. Promash was nice but hasn't been updated since 2003. The main thing is... the OP NEEDS to use something to help design the recipes.. A well designed recipe will produce a beer that taste exactly how you envisioned it (more or less)

$20 isn't bad..I may pre-order 2.0 when I get home from work. Thanks for the input from everyone! I've only been in the hobby a couple months so I guess up till now the software seemed a bit intimidating but I think I'm ready for it.

buy beersmith.. you won't regret it

Ditto....ditto...ditto.....

it is only $23.......

You can download a full working version for FREE....it will run 21 days then it becomes limited on use.....needless to say I bought it before the 21 days were up.

So go ahead and download it and give it a try...you can use it for your next AG batch you are doing and see how helpful it is.

Latest posts

Back