25th Brew on Electric Spike System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phendog

Reaction score
No looking back for sure. Brew day goes so much smoother, no more propane bottles and temps come up much quicker. Clean up is easier, but still not buying into the whole CIP thing. Kettles still need scrubbed, elements need cleaned and sight glass tubes need removed and cleaned once in a while.

One complaint and two recommendations for Spike Brewing:
1. Starting to have some issues with the compression fittings. Had leaking around the herms coil twice and the HLT return (inside the kettle off the whirlpool tube) now leaks. I hope Spike sells replacement fittings. Got freaked out one day heating my HLT & Mash water. HLT was suddenly overflowing and the 8gals of water in the mash tun dropped to three gallons
2. I wish there was a rubber gasket/o-ring where the dip tube goes through the false bottom and/or a gasket around the false bottom. During mash recirc (with the pump unrestricted) I am getting grain under the false bottom - sometimes a good amount
3. I REALLY wish the table had wheels!!!!!!!!!

Been a while since I brewed and felt like making an IPA. The recipe from Bruolosophy in the article below is SOLID. I went with the heavier dry hoped option, of course. :)

http://brulosophy.com/2015/09/21/dry-hop-quantity-a-little-vs-a-lot-exbeeriment-results/

Attachments

• IMG_3209.jpeg
    IMG_3209.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1314 2.jpg
    IMG_1314 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 164
That is why I’m glad I got pots with Triclamp. Spike was late to offer them so I had to go with another brand.

That's awesome! Glad to hear about the MACC IPA - I believe I'll be making that one next as it sounds like it'll be super delicious. I'm thinking of splitting up the dry hop and doing half during fermentation and the 2nd half afterwards.

Latest posts

Back